PDA

View Full Version : buying good discus in brisbane

dan23
Sat May 16, 2009, 09:55 AM
anyone out there know where to buy decent discus in brisbane , been to a number of places all over and all i can say they are s*&t and over priced . I will be going to a member of this forums place to see what he has as he always has good looking fish but surely there must be someone else out there

Hollowman
Sat May 16, 2009, 02:01 PM
Can't help with location, but please look at quality before you buy. Do not accept second best. :wink:

H

xrboy_85
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hi Dan

I recentley went down this road myself, I have had some good success with pet city at wishart, annerly aquarium also have normally good looking stock.
HTH Justin

simmo2302
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
discusworld is now based in brisbane, but only take internet orders from their website.

dan23
Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:00 AM
i went to annerley aquarium today and all their discus looked like they needed to be put out of their misery ( disgraceful that someone could sell fish that look so bad)

dan23
Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:01 AM
i went to annerley aquarium today and all their discus looked like they needed to be put out of their misery ( disgraceful that someone could sell fish that look so bad)

xrboy_85
Thu Sep 24, 2009, 10:04 PM
that's unfortunate dan i picked up a beautiful yelow gold from there not long ago it was in great shape that did have a few when i was there that needed fattening up.

rex82
Thu Sep 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
i'm with dan on this one.... it's too overpriced and the fish look second rate most of the time......i rarely bother looking in that shop anymore let alone buy anything....

skmichi
Fri Sep 25, 2009, 01:39 PM
I'm also one that is looking for discus sellers in brizzy~, I went to annerly aquarium the other day and noticed that they kept quite a lot in a small tank. I'm still a newbie so I cant tell the difference between what good quality and bad quality discus' are suppose to look like o_O. Would someone be kind enough to explain to me please?

Was funny how the guy there told me it was ok to put discus in my tank that I just started cycling for 2 days.

cheers,
Andrew

Mr Wild
Fri Sep 25, 2009, 11:32 PM
Oh Dear really !!!!!!

Never trust the words of the LFS unless you really know that they know what they are talking about!

Others will chime in here to help you as well I am sure but I look for the following:

Active fish that are interested in coming to the front of the tank
Errect fins
Clear eyes
good round shape - no footballs
Eye size that conforms to the size of the fish
Watch to see if they are using both gills when breathing and that they are breathing normally

Then ask for them to be fed a little while you are there, they should eagerly want food if they don't why will they want it in your tank and they could be ill.

Finally if you can take the time to watch them long enough their poop should be brown/black, if you see any white hanging from a fish in that tank give it a wide berth.

It sounds harsh but this way you will at least end up with a good start and if your new to keeping discus buy ones about 4in and up to start with they are far less fragile and will likely be a great first experience.

Always QT your new fish for at least 8 weeks and observe their feeding, pooping etc that way if you need to treat them you do it in QT and your display tank stays healthy. HTH

Hollowman
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 09:43 AM
LFS strikes again :twisted: :roll:

shaggy700
Fri Nov 04, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hey guys check this 1 out Exotic Fish Connections, Sherwood Rd Rocklea 0737160155 excellant quality and very good price

Old Dave
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 10:30 AM
Last time up there I found many really good aquarium shops northside. didn't get down to Annerley. FishChicks is on this year's itinerary.
Unfortunately I can't remember the locations but when looking for good discus Boondall comes to mind, and there was one on the western side of a main road between the city and Chermside.
Is there more than one LFS on Sherwood Rd? Sounds familliar too.

I'll have to start keeping them as favourites in my GPS. :lol:

hth,
Dave

swifto
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 10:34 AM
look up rod lewis (fish mania) he has great quaililty fish

mawhins
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 09:31 PM
+1 for Rod. I haven't bought from him yet (planning to) but his reputation is very good and the photos of his shipments are impressive.

mawhins
Wed Nov 09, 2011, 09:38 PM
Also re exotic fish connections, they have some white nice looking discus in stock atm. However some quite stunted, and when someone tells me you shouldn't be afraid to buy stunted fish because they have a stronger constitution, I have to wonder.

swampy1972
Sat Nov 12, 2011, 12:14 AM
2 words:

ROD LEWIS..

Old Dave
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
One word.

Link?

:lol:

mawhins
Wed Nov 16, 2011, 10:15 PM
I don't know if its kosher to post Li.ka to other forums but this is where rod seems to hang out online: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=815207