PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma Newbie.....:)

Nic
Sat May 16, 2009, 04:21 AM
Hi guys,
Just wondering whether or not all apistogrammas are all compatible with each other...
I was thinking about getting a harem of Cockatoo Double Red's and Agassizi's. And possibly some Blue Cheeks if i can chase any up....
I know during breeding they with get a bit fiesty but i have a suitable breeding tank for them to go into.
Thx guys.

Hassles
Sat May 16, 2009, 05:47 AM
The short answer to your question is no. IF your tank is large enough AND complex enough (eg: "HEAPS" of rocks, driftwood and plants) then you can probably get away with two trios without too much concern.

Apistogramma will view other Apistogramma as threats and rivals and will comfortably kill one another. I keep 11 species of Apistogramma and non of these share a tank. You can't keep Apistos with Kribensis either.

I have just supplied a group of cacatuoides to a forum member who is housing these with Rams so I assume all is OK in this environment.

take care

jluna
Sat May 16, 2009, 09:43 PM
the only mixed-species tank i've had is a trio of cacs and agas in a 6ft, very heavily planted tank. there were no deaths, but because the fish were very wary, you don't get to see them much, and when they did meet up there was almost always a scuffle (if the fish are healthy, they are feisty!). aggression levels can vary with individual fish, but i think if you want to enjoy the apistogramma species, go with a trio of ONE type and watch the amazing interactions between alpha and beta female, and their interactions with the male. you'll see a lot more natural behaviour without mixing them. i keep all of mine in single-species tanks with other south american fish as dithers (tetras, hatchets, pencilfish etc) and they are a pleasure to watch.

Robdog
Thu May 21, 2009, 12:35 PM
You can't keep Apistos with Kribensis either.

You can keep Apisto's with Kribs.

Hassles
Thu May 21, 2009, 04:19 PM
You can't keep Apistos with Kribensis either.

You can keep Apisto's with Kribs.

Robdog, there will always be exceptions to the rule, any rule in fact, but can / would you recommend the co-habitation of Kribensis with Apistogramma :?:

gingerbeer01
Thu May 21, 2009, 10:20 PM
For what it is worth my opinion is......

You can keep apistos together if you are careful about species selection. Cardinal rule is make sure that you can tell the females apart. (This typically means they are far enough apart to not be a big problem). However they are still cichlids - so will fight to a degree regardless for territory. This menas and size mismatch may result in death.

Kribs and apistos are not a good idea IMO. Aggression level of the kribs is typically out of proportion to the apistos and leads to problems.

Robdog
Sat May 23, 2009, 12:12 PM
No I probably wouldn't recommend it, purely from a African-vs-Sth American-in-the-same-tank point of view. And probably not-in-anything-under-4ft point of view too. :wink:

But it can be done...