PDA

View Full Version : Peat in Sydney

TW
Fri May 15, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi there

Anyone in Sydney use peat in their filters? What type do you use & where do you get it?

Appreciate your time

jluna
Fri May 15, 2009, 09:36 PM
hi robyn, how are you? i use sera "super peat" granules in all my filters - i tie it into the toe of a stocking and have it in the cannisters. much easier to replace, which i only do every six months when i clean the cannisters. all good. i order it online along with most of my other bits and pieces.

ps, love the white discus!

justin (jase101 on fishprofiles)

TW
Mon May 18, 2009, 03:46 AM
Hi Justin

Do you still use sera "super peat" granules and if so, where do you get it. I went to one on-line site and they have this message posted against the product:- "Due to import restrictions, this product is no longer available in Australia."

The same message was posted against the fluval brand. EDIT: the message agains Fluval Peat was "DISCONTINUED PRODUCT"

Ideally, I'd like to contain costs & use one from a gardening shop, but that might take me a while to research & make sure the brand I go with is "fish safe.

I like your avatar. Is that of past discus, or discus you have right now?

Any new apistos lately?

ILLUSN
Mon May 18, 2009, 04:21 AM
TEEM pure canadian peat is safe for aquariums, i got some from melbourn on my last trip south, efhi torf from eheim is also peat and few shops around have it, it sterile pelleted pead so import is no problem.

becarefull of garden peat alot contains fertilizers and soil as well as agricultural residues.

Repz
Sat May 23, 2009, 04:28 AM
JBL Tormec is also peat

* 25 % humic acid gently reduces the pH levels.
* Granulate form ensures even release of vital ingredients.
* Creates optimum conditions for the keeping and breeding of "black waterfish".
* Slight amber colouring of aquarium water hinders algae growth

jluna
Sat May 23, 2009, 08:23 PM
hi robyn - i bulk-bought about 2 years ago and so haven't bought it recently...sorry, no other info, but it looks like the other guys have leads for you. the avatar is old - it's all apistos (and future altums) at my house now! i'm addicted to female apistos in breeding colouration!

swampy1972
Wed Sep 09, 2009, 11:16 AM
There's a landscape supply place in Cambelltown, western Sydney that sells it in 250lt bails for $45. The name escapes me at the moment but there can't be too many. A Google or Yellow Pages search should find them. I't's imported from Lithuania.
I've just started to use it to help stabilise my water. No ill effects yet.