PDA

View Full Version : Headshaking and mateing?

Boyam
Fri May 15, 2009, 04:50 AM
I just recently treated my discus for flukes since i saw "head"shaking. now that they are back in the tank after treatment i noticed they are still shacking their bodies- mainly the fins and heads. they seem to be breathing normal, and equally on both sides.

soo...

is this them flirting? i have never seen it before, but from what i have observed they do it in front of a single fish. they try to spread out their fins too- almost to look bigger, than shake.

i'm worried, but beginning to think that it may just be them preparing to pick a partner.

ILLUSN
Fri May 15, 2009, 05:37 AM
sounds like spawning to me

Boyam
Fri May 15, 2009, 05:14 PM
Is this normal?

Hollowman
Fri May 15, 2009, 07:47 PM
yes, its normal. Exciting times :wink:

Matt15
Sun May 17, 2009, 01:05 AM
lol Boyam.... its certainly a good thing.
I made this video about a year ago which clearly shows the breeding couple shaking and jigging around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZu1ovyfls
It might make you feel alittle more at ease.

Boyam
Mon May 18, 2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks everyone 8)

just came home from work and saw two batches of eggs (2 pairs). One is currently being gobbled up, expected since its there first. the other batch is being guarded by the other pair.

its funny too because both pairs laid their batch on my built-in overflow box (you know the big black thing in pre-drilled tanks). i don't expect any success though; its their first time for both pairs, and not to mention its in a planted tank.

I'm just happy they are indeed happy and safe.

oh and for those curious they are strange pairs: a snowflake and a blue diamond. the second pair is a red marlboro and a red leopard.