PDA

View Full Version : 1 gill working, what can I do for the fish? is it parasites?

1fish2fish3fish
Thu May 14, 2009, 02:19 AM
Ive tryed a few things, more water changes. I was doing them every 3-4 days, 35-40%.. 20% on sat and sun, when Im off..

yes, seems one gill is working and the other is stuck closed..ever seen this?.. Ive turned temp down to 82, 3 days ago, and added some extra airation..he loses some colour at times.. and is back to his right colour when lights are out..so I keep them off more..

Ive PraziPro on hand, should I use it ..? should I take fish out and med seperate.
Ammonia 0 NitrItes 0 NitrAtes I will say 0 just did a water change today.. it was at 5-10 maybe, doesnt get much higher than that, since I do the water changes often.. PH is stable a 7.2..

Do you think it is gill flukes?
is that what happens?
he is eating, as usual , but having a hard time swimming for it, but does manage too find it..

any thoughts..
I almost want to reach in add open it myself..lol..
kinda rushing to do this post.. have I missed something.. let me know..

rwel4809
Thu May 14, 2009, 02:45 AM
Sounds like gill flukes to me. has the fish been flashing (rubbing).

If so try a pp dip, there are instructions on how to do this in the medications section - much more effective than prazi IMO...

HTH R.

1fish2fish3fish
Thu May 14, 2009, 02:58 AM
the fish has been shaking its head, twitching?..but not much..
thought it might have been gill flukes..never seen it before..
thanks will go read up on it now..

rwel4809
Thu May 14, 2009, 05:23 AM
the fish has been shaking its head, twitching?..but not much..
thought it might have been gill flukes..never seen it before..
thanks will go read up on it now..

yep, sounds like flukes - head twitching is a classic sign.

good luck!

1fish2fish3fish
Thu May 14, 2009, 01:01 PM
yes dammit!.. :( .. I read the article, seems hard to find this medication, while Ive got prazipro Im going to treat with it, and hope for some sort of results.
better than leaving it..
thanks

Hollowman
Thu May 14, 2009, 05:00 PM
PP is my med of choice for flukes :)

rwel4809
Thu May 14, 2009, 10:47 PM
yes dammit!.. :( .. I read the article, seems hard to find this medication, while Ive got prazipro Im going to treat with it, and hope for some sort of results.
better than leaving it..
thanks

I'm not sure about Canada but pp (potasium permanganate) is available in pharmacies over here... it used to be called condies crystals I think.

HTH.

R.