PDA

View Full Version : Aqua One Aquariums

Barracuda
Mon May 11, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hi, I am looking at two aqua one aquariums, and am unsure as to which one to get! I am looking at the 320 and the 126 - same size, same price.

Anyone one got either? I think the biggest difference between the two is the filter - the 320 has an UG filter while the 126 has the standard intake/bio noodles type filter.

I plan to keep guppies in it, with plants - which is more suited, or does it really not matter? In your opinion, which provides better filtration, or will it be fairly similar, with pros and cons of both (I plan that it will be lightly stocked)?

Which is the newer model? Which retails more expensive?

Thanks - help me decide please! :lol:

TW
Mon May 11, 2009, 11:06 AM
I've had both in the past. I don't really like UG filters. I ended up using an internal filter for that one & taking out the UG.

I'd say out of the two, if they same size / price I would go for the would with the wet & dry filter in the hood.

Hollowman
Mon May 11, 2009, 05:30 PM
IMO, UG filters are a bit stone age, (no good for planted tanks) I would go with the other option. :)

Barracuda
Tue May 12, 2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks guys

So which one is the easiest to maintain/requires less cleaning?

I dont seem to understand how the UG filter works...from the looks of it, the UG stuff is pushed back into the tank via a powerhead and output tube (there doesnt seem to be anywhere to store the waste) - wouldnt this mean the waste is pumped back into the tank? Where exactly does the waste end up?

Thanks

Hollowman
Tue May 12, 2009, 05:07 PM
An UG filter utilises the substrate as the filter media. Water is sucked through the gravel (yuk) to a void underneath and the powerhead pumps the water back out the top of the tank. It means that all the waste and uneaten food gets trapped between the gravel and can rot and make anerobic areas. Cleaning the gravel is a horrible job, been there done that. Water quality cannot be kept to discus standards with a UG filter imo.

I would go with an external or internal contained filter. (cannister type for external) these are fine for what you want. If it were me, being a fan of external cannisters, I would go for an Ehiem one of the classic range.

hth

H :)

TW
Tue May 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
If memory serves me correctly, these tanks aren't big enough for a canister filter.

The built in wet & dry filter in the hood is a breeze to maintain.

TW
Wed May 13, 2009, 12:19 AM
If the wet & dry filter is the one that Aqua one want to sell you replacement cartridges for - you don't need to do that. As long as you have noodles etc in the try, just chuck out the cartridge at your first maintenance & replace it with your own floss. Maybe replace only 1 cartridge one week & replace the 2nd one the following week. You don't need to keep up using the carbon (which is the stuff that rattles in the cartridge).

Barracuda
Thu May 14, 2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks

Any idea which one usually retails more expensive? From the sounds of things, the 320 is slightly bigger, but its filter is inferior to that of the 126.

TW
Thu May 14, 2009, 11:17 AM
It's been a long time since I bought either & I no longer own them. I really can't remember the prices, or which was cheaper.

Good luck with your new tank.

Barracuda
Thu May 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks anyway TW

TW
Thu May 14, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'd go with the one with the wet n dry filter in the hood, especially if it is a little bigger.

Do you have other tanks?

Barracuda
Fri May 15, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yea I have a 6ft main tank, this is just gonna be a spare to keep guppies :)

Anyway did some research, turns out the 126 ($147) is more expensive than the 320 ($117):
http://www.townsvillepetcare.com.au/Aquarium/Aquariums.htm