PDA

View Full Version : a war on the sticky green (algae)

Benzo
Wed May 06, 2009, 01:09 AM
i have a 55 gallon tank with 5 discus and a handful of other peaceful fish. its in a sunny room and i have been slowly adding more and more plants. i have three 2-bank T5 florescents and recently i have been noticing a lot of algae growth. i have two plecos and an amazonian catfish but they dont seem to be keeping up. i have black brush algae and string algae and i dont know what to do. today i removed the leaves with the most algae on them and scrubbed the glass. i plan on getting a SAE but what else can i do since i dont think thats enough.

ps. is everyone else on discus forums from australia or am i crazy?

ILLUSN
Wed May 06, 2009, 02:06 AM
alot of us are aussies but there plenty of others as well, you have an imbalance if you have algae, you could try a 3 day blackout, or try using some hydrogen peroxide

Benzo
Wed May 06, 2009, 02:14 AM
whoa! just pour hydrogen peroxide in? at what rate? wont that kill my biological filtration?
what kind of imbalance? thanks!

rwel4809
Wed May 06, 2009, 02:14 AM
you have algae because your nitrates are too high and you have too much light without enough fast growing plants to take up the excess nutrients.

It might help you to get a heap of water wisteria - it is great for taking excess nutrients from the water and might also help to ease your tank cycling problem.

HTH R.

ILLUSN
Wed May 06, 2009, 09:04 AM
using 3% H202 the dose rate is no mre than 0.75ml/L

just remember google is your friend

David...
Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:30 PM
You really shouldn't be placing tanks in direct sunlight. It promotes more algae growth.

peppermintman
Mon Jul 27, 2009, 01:35 AM
rwel4809
I totally agree I had a problem with algae and i put some wisteria in and found algae gone in 2 weeks. Brown algae is possible cause of to much uneaten food.