PDA

View Full Version : White Albino Pearl - Food Question

TW
Sun May 03, 2009, 10:27 AM
What do I feed a white albino pearl, so he doesn't turn orange.

As well as the odd spirulina brine shrimp, my main feed is home made bh. Will the fresh prawns, salmon, carrots & spirulina in this mix make the white fish go orange? LFS said that prawns will, but said salmon & spirulina won't.

I have a very large batch of the bh made up at the moment. If I use it & the fish goes orange, will the orange go away when that food source is changed?

At the end of the day, if he gets a pink tinge, that won't be the end of the world, but as I bought him for his whiteness, I'd like to try & preserve it, if I can.

Any suggestions on how to feed the little guy to preserve his whiteness would be appreciated?

Here's what my bh recipe has in it:-

bh
prawns
white ocean fish
salmon
cooked spinach, carrots
peas
banana
garlic
spirulina powder

So, what should go from my next batch? Thinking I will make his special batch up next weekend.

Thanks for any help. This is my first white discus so I really appreciate any advice.

ivo
Sun May 03, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hi robyn, is it a pure white color one? If it is then it won't go orange after color feeding.

TW
Sun May 03, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Roger

is it a pure white color one? If it is then it won't go orange after color feeding. Visually, it looks pure white. But if you mean there is some other ways (eg by knowing it's genes) then I don't know. This will link you to it's pictures, so maybe you might be able to tell?
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19113&highlight=

Hollowman
Sun May 03, 2009, 11:30 AM
I don't think yo will have any problems with any food imo Robyn. Super coloured fish.

ivo
Sun May 03, 2009, 11:54 AM
Beautiful discus robyn. It looks like an albino blue diamond I had a few yrs ago. It won't turn orange. If it was a white yellowish type then there might be a slight chance, but yrs won't unless u hormone color it LOL. Nice buy.

TW
Sun May 03, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hi ivo, Steve (& anyone else)

I am glad to hear I don't have to modify his diet, but I'm curious. Why is he different & not effected by natural colour enhanced food, say in the same way a white butterfly or yellow discus would be?

I forgot to mention that I had NatuRose in my latest batch of bh.

Hollowman
Mon May 04, 2009, 09:49 AM
I might be wrong, but I think the WB is pigeon based, whereas the ABD that you have is not. tbh, I have never seen a blue fish change when feeding Prima.
S :)

TW
Mon May 04, 2009, 01:55 PM
The LFS had discus he called ABD, that were blue with the albino eyes. But this was not one of them. This one he called a white pearl albino????He dosen't really have a blue tinge & if the pic makes it look like he does, I think it's the reflection from the pale blue sides & wall of the tank.

Hollowman
Mon May 04, 2009, 02:07 PM
Still a beaut whatever it is :wink: