PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Tetras not doing so well

axl
Sun May 03, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hi,
just back from Melbourne on Friday with 30 cardinal tetras and 10 have already died. Lost 4 the first night and 6 the 2nd night and it has been cold here at nights. Temps is on 29 and they are in there with a small checkerboard discus that i purchased as well. They are in quartine at the moment and i dont no if i should put them straight in the main tank with the other discus. They seem to be all eating fine?? Any thoughts
Cheers Axl

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun May 03, 2009, 06:11 AM
Its always good to QT your fish before you mix them with the rest of the population.

I QT all my fish (tetras included) for 1 - 2 weeks - depending on certain circumstances (others may vary their QT time) to monitor their health and well being before i mix them into one of my tanks.

You do this because you never know what the fish is carrying - could have worms or parasites that could spread to your other fish if not treated BEFORE you mix them in.

RE: losing fish ...
You will sometimes lose fish during a long journey - there are many factors - stress, lack of Oxygen, poorly bred/kept by the seller, large difference in water parameters between your water and the sellers water and more that i cant think of at the moment lol - fact if, you will SOMETIMES lose some, usually small ones go first (like tetras).

axl
Sun May 03, 2009, 06:30 AM
Yeah i always quartine my fish and the smaller 1's have died first, i have just put some multi cure in there just in case there is some fungus. Its just dissapointing to see $ 30 down the drain like that quickly.

Heiko Bleher
Mon May 25, 2009, 11:35 PM
Hi,

this is Heiko Bleher and I can only see that the cardinals you bought had a problem at its source (not QT long enough at the petshop/wholesaler, to freshly imported). You problem, if the fish die or are sick from the start, is normally your source. If they die 7 days after placing them or later, it is normally a problem at your own place.

But in any case - always keep fishes QT at least for 21 days before mixing them into your arquarium: 7 days to see that the are good, 7 days to cure and 7 days to feed well, that already my grandfather tought me...

You should come to my lectures in Perth on June 2nd...

All the best

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Greggy
Tue May 26, 2009, 04:18 PM
Where will you be lecturing in Perth Heiko? How can we contact/find you?

Regards,

Greg

Bill Tune
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 03:34 AM
How long do people expect cardinals to last, by the way?
Mine seem to start to fade after about 6 months - often starts with a darkenning at the base of the tail, then they kind of "lose it"...

ILLUSN
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 03:51 AM
cardinals are good for atleast 3 years by that stage they are about 4cm in body length.

Bill Tune
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 04:33 AM
So why do mine not last so long?
Is it water condition related? I have found in the past if I have been a bit remiss with water changes then I can start to lose a few - especially glow lights, but the cardinals as well.

ILLUSN
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 10:22 AM
glowlights are tough as nails i've got over 50 in a 6x2x2 that gets a water change maybe once every 3 months (planted tank with diy denitriter and massive filtration).

I'd never dare put cardinals in it though, do you buy your cardinals big or small?

TW
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 11:20 AM
What are glow lights? I have some Rasbora espei, which the LFS I bought them from calls Glowlight Rasboras. Just wondering if you mean these fish, or something different?

ILLUSN
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 11:24 AM
Glowlights are a type of tetra, basicly a bronze coloured neon with a bright orange stripe, tough as nails.

Bill Tune
Wed Jul 01, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well, my nails get a bit rusty & I don't know why!