PDA

View Full Version : I have a pair

lpiasente
Fri May 01, 2009, 11:08 PM
I have had a beautiful leopard snake skin added to my tank about 6-8 weeks ago and I have been watching him/her and my lepoard for a few weeks now and was sure they were pairing up. Luckily they are as beautiful as each other. They are now cleaning the filter outlet tube. Not sure what or if anything will happen. Unfortunatly at this time I have no time or space to look after fry. Such a shame because they are both stunning fish. I know discus are great parents so if they do lay eggs will it be too stressful for them to remain in the tank with the other fish as they are eaten. Should I remove the eggs? I am sitting watching them and 1 is dancing all around the other, very cute would it be the male dancing ? It is also the same one doing most of the cleaning.

DiscusDave
Sat May 02, 2009, 07:30 AM
I'd leave them to it, it's good practice and I don't beleiie it'll cause too much stress (certainly no more than you removing the eggs). In the meantime it'll give you time to set up a breeding tank if that's your intention. Good luck :D

lpiasente
Sat May 02, 2009, 08:10 AM
Oh dave if only I had the time to raise the fry. These 2 fish are really beautiful. Once they pair up do they do so for life? I really would like to breed from them in a few months when I have the time.

Hollowman
Sat May 02, 2009, 08:28 AM
Fish can be paired and can be forced to go with other partners. Sometimes they do have such strong bonds that if you move them apart, they stop eating and will wither away. Love is a strange thing you know :shock:

lpiasente
Mon May 04, 2009, 08:54 AM
I have eggs. I can't believe I am this excited. I wish I had a spare tank. :)

Hollowman
Mon May 04, 2009, 09:50 AM
:lol: excited are we ??? :lol:

lpiasente
Mon May 04, 2009, 10:19 AM
yep you bet

lpiasente
Tue May 05, 2009, 09:07 PM
The eggs are still there. I really thought they wold have been eaten by the harlequins. A few small patches of white ones which I assume have fungus on them. If the fry survive I will have to get ANOTHER tank. I couldn't bare to wtch them getting eaten. :lol: . I need to do a wtarer change today. Will it matter to the eggs?

lpiasente
Wed May 06, 2009, 10:44 AM
I just discovered when I came home from work today that they had laid eggs in 2 places, 1 on the outlet pipe and the other on the leaf of a sword plant. The ones on the outlet pipe all went mouldy and they ate them all tonight but the ones on the sword are now wrigglers. Mum and dad seem very very hungry at the moment. Why can't one of you live near me so you can come and see my eggs/babies and get excited with me. :lol:

TW
Wed May 06, 2009, 10:59 AM
How exciting. Keep us posted.

Hollowman
Wed May 06, 2009, 04:56 PM
I know someone who is gonna need another tank soon :wink:

lpiasente
Wed May 06, 2009, 09:38 PM
Got it all sorted. I have a 114 litre ready to set up this weekend.

lpiasente
Fri May 08, 2009, 10:33 PM
All gone. I don't know who got them but they is nothing at all left.

Hollowman
Fri May 08, 2009, 10:42 PM
:( never mind, there is always next time :)