PDA

View Full Version : Direction on what to try next

chambo
Wed Apr 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
I have a pair that spawned twice in my community tank.
Both time the eggs slowly disapeared.

I set them up in a 2 foot tank with a sponge filter and clay pot.
Within a week the pair spawned on the pot. 48 hours latter I noticed they had spawned again on the other side of the tank and abandanded the first batch of eggs. The first batch stayed white in colour - I take it they where non fertilised.

The second batch of eggs got to the stage where they began to hatch and fall down the pot. most where picked up and spat back ontp the pot. arrived home the next day to find no eggs - no swimmers and no trace of there ever being.

Is there any thing I can do to increse the odds of the next spawn?

Can any one inform me of the purpose of the mesh put over eggs as I have seen in several pictures?

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:35 AM
I believe the mesh is simply to keep the parents from eating the eggs.

Hollowman
Wed Apr 29, 2009, 05:09 PM
I believe the mesh is simply to keep the parents from eating the eggs.

Correct

chambo
Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:54 AM
The mesh may be for my fish then.

is the mesh inserted after the eggs are layed or prior?

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Thu Apr 30, 2009, 08:30 AM
after the eggs are layed and fertilized - i believe.

H, care to clarify?

thanks

Hollowman
Thu Apr 30, 2009, 05:13 PM
Yep, spot on, give them an hour to finish their stuff, and cover with a mesh. The fish can still see the eggs so therefore tend them, fanning them. Then /i remove it when they start to hatch.

:)

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks mate :D

chambo
Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:49 PM
Will give the mesh a try.
It's only the Male who seems to eating the eggs

chambo
Sat May 09, 2009, 02:21 AM
Tried the mesh, the parents deserted the eggs,
The eggs started to hatch a day and a half later - I turned the pot around so the wrigglers where closer to where they like to hang out in the tank. They took them on again and then they where all gorn 2 days later.

They spawned again 3 days later, I did noy use the mesh this time. The eggs have gotten to wrigglers and the parents seem to have deserted them....

Any suggestions?

Hollowman
Sat May 09, 2009, 08:40 AM
Probably just too immature to know what to do. Do you have pics of the mesh and how you did it?

chambo
Tue May 26, 2009, 07:34 AM
THe Sarga continues,

After several more batch of spawn, the eggs reach wriggler stage, at which point the father eats the lot of them, Can I remover or segregate the father in order to achieve a successfull spawn?

ILLUSN
Tue May 26, 2009, 07:48 AM
you can remove dad and let mum raise them on her own, just keep pumping baby brine shrimp into them as often as possible to take some of the load off her.

chambo
Wed May 27, 2009, 01:22 AM
Does the father tend to cope OK with being removed>?