PDA

View Full Version : Planted Aquarium Backgrounds

Nic
Sat Apr 25, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hi all,
Thought id say gday first as i am new to the discus world.

Just wondering what is the best to use as a backdrop to a beautiful planted discus aquarium. The sheets of stuff look tacky and cheap and i wanted to get something that looked a bit more natural.

Styrofoam rock, moss walls or well......what else??

Any help appreciated

Cheers.

rwel4809
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 01:10 AM
If you do get a textured background, I suggest that you seal it in really well with silicon so that no dirt and water can get trapped behind.

Many of us go for a simple blue background, whether painted or vinyl adhesive.

It is best to keep things simple IMO

R.

Nic
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 02:57 AM
Thankyou.

Thought i would do a homestyle stryofoam job.
That way i can get exactly what i want.

I just have to make sure i do it properly.

Thanks. Nic

jluna
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 08:12 AM
i agree that most backgrounds are super tacky, but i found one which is tacky greenery on one side and a gorgeous slate wall on the other - it's a totally natural looking background and sets off the plants really well. you can see it in some of the shots here:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/jase101/?start=all

it's on all my tanks but the photos marked 'splash tetras' probably show it best. next time you're in a petshop, just check both sides of the plastic backgrounds, as most are double-sided.

justin

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:17 AM
I agree with rwel, My discus tank has a light blue paint on the out side, brings out their colors better and helps prevent peppering - also, with rock walls, you use up water space that could be used to keep your discus happy - more water = healthier, happier discus.

On another note - jluna, those are some great pics. the fish in my community tank dont stay still long enough for me to take decent pics :P

Hollowman
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
Don't forget, that your fish may want to blend in with the colour of the background. This can make them either pepper up if they are Pigeon based fish or darken and look sick if they are blue based fish.

H