PDA

View Full Version : PH Pens

chambo
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 04:47 AM
Considering purchasing a PH pen for there ease of use.
Whats your thoughts? Ph pen or stick with the traditional method of testing?

Repz
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 05:01 AM
I love my ph pen! I think this is a very useful - only needs calibration every month or so.

Just stick it in, shake it a littler and tada - you got your ph results.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 05:31 AM
i sware by my ph pen, $70 from jaycar, best money ever spent, just remember to calibrate it every week or so.

bartek
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 06:08 AM
On a slightly side topic.

Does anyone use a PH monitor as oppose to a pen. A monitor that shows the PH 24/7?

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 06:52 AM
I did when i first got it but my probe has a tendency to drift, i calibrate it every sunday now it controls the CO2 system on my planted tank.

the seachem ph alerts are great but they dont go down to 5.0 where i try and keep my discus tanks at.

chambo
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 07:03 AM
Whats required in terms of calibration?

I pressume you used a liquid with a controlled PH amd the meter has some form of turn or digital adjustment?

Any recomendations in terms of Brands - Bang for buck etc?

Repz
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 07:34 AM
There are plenty of PH pens on ebay for under $100.

I bought mine for 58 bucks, and its been so useful so many times.

Calibration for me means dipping the pen in the liquid vial of ph 4something and ph 7something

Steps:
1. Dip in the 7something ph liquid then adjusting the pen by using a screwdriver to the exact value.
2. Wash it in distilled water
3.then dip it in the ph of 4something and adjust.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 07:34 AM
dont buy cheep!, if you can get a water proof one because sooner or later you will drop it into your tank.

calibration is simple as using a ph7 calibartion solution and a ph4 calibration solution, just dip the probe and adjust with a small screw driver.

jesx57
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
I've got a d1ck smith one, paid about $80 for it. It works well, you can look it up on their website.

DiscusDave
Wed Apr 22, 2009, 11:16 AM
On a slightly side topic.

Does anyone use a PH monitor as oppose to a pen. A monitor that shows the PH 24/7?

Yes I've got an Aquasonic controller. It's pretty good, I monitor PH, temp and conductivity and turn on/off my lights, CO2 and air. Only complaint it there's no wireless module so I cannot store the data since my tank is remote from my PC.