PDA

View Full Version : Defusing Co2?

bartek
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 02:14 AM
I am just about to install pressurised Co2 on my new 6ft tank.

I use a Eheum aquaball internal filter in the tank as a powerhead and was wonder if feeding the Co2 into this filter wouldl work well as a difuser.

I was thinking of connecting the tubing to the the aquaball in the same place that the small tube for sucking in air does when using the aquaball close to the surface of the water.

Do you think this would work?

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 05:09 AM
It actualy works very well, just try and mount your powerhead 2/3's down your tank so the tiny bubbles actually disolve before they reach the surface.

bartek
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 05:35 AM
Do you think that the aquaball would break up the Co2 into sufficiently small bubbles to have them desolve into the water before getting to the surface?

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 07:57 AM
It will do as good if not better than any comparable power head on the markets, if your worried aim it down towards the substrate, you'll still get some loss but its better than nothing, for a super good dissolution rate aim the stream at your canister filter intake so any larger bubbles are sucked up and disolved further (or you could just bubble co2 into your canister filter)

bartek
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 10:10 PM
I am thinking about desfusing straight into the canister filter. I also have a glass difuser ready to go as well so I have a few options.

What's the best way of getting the Co2 into the canister? If I can run the Co2 line from the bottle into the hose on the intake side of the canister woudl that work?

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
i just make a small hole in the intake basket of the filter (the little cage thing in the tank) and just feed the co2 line into that and let it bubble into the canister, i sware my old 2213 was the best co2 diffuser i ever used.

bartek
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 11:48 PM
Did you find that the Co2 caused any problems with the 2213? It it end up running noisy or did you have any Co2 build up in the canister?

bartek
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 11:50 PM
On another note do you think if I fed the Co2 into one of the small baskets on the aquaball instead of where I indiacted of where it sucks in air woudl that work better?

I think it may just end up being a trial and error thing.

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:50 AM
Not really, if you have an aquaball use the venturi, the flow of water will smash the bubbles into a stream, if you bubble through the aquaball the impeller will also smash up the bubbles but some could get thrown out the sides of the filter.

bartek
Thu May 07, 2009, 10:49 PM
I have had this running for about 2 weeks now and seems to be woking well.

The bubbles do get smashed up to varying degrees.