PDA

View Full Version : Can guppies survive without a heater and filter?

Barracuda
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 01:38 AM
Can they survive in a smallish tank without a heater and filter? Planning on putting in some gravel and plants, and maybe an airstone...will this be sufficient or do they really need warm water and a filter?

Barracuda
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 03:29 AM
Now also wondering:
Can a heater be used in a plastic tank?
Also, do guppies jump? (if a tank has no lids, will they jump out?)

ILLUSN
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:52 AM
guppies arnt good jumpers, they like a temp no lower than 22C, even at 22c they are prone to white spot and dont breed redilly 24C is a much bette temp for them, they dont produce much watse, but a filter is still advisable, if your going to run an airstone, add a small coner box filter and just fill it with sintered glass media (siporax mini is suppose to be the ducks guts at the moment for small filters).

you can use a heater in a plastic tank. just NEVER run the heater "dry" or it will melt a hole in the side of the tank.

lpiasente
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
poor guppies. :(

bronco
Sun Jun 07, 2009, 06:34 AM
i had guppies for 3 months, in my freshwater tank,, with no heater and no filter, wit coldfish mite i add, before i got a bigger setup to start discus, so now i put my male and female guppies wit my discus, but they seem so much happier with a heater, and yes mine did jump out of my tank with no heater, luckily i saved dem, and also they looked not to happi i mite add, but YES, they can live without a heater and filter, my smaller tank with danioz and goldfish live with no heater and filter, but there happy because there hardy fish, but guppies werent so tho.

jluna
Sun Jun 07, 2009, 09:33 PM
yeah, i would say the operative word here is 'survive' - in much the same way as a betta can 'survive' a tiny square container or you could 'survive' in a small square room. the question is, will the fish be happy?

Hollowman
Sun Jun 07, 2009, 09:55 PM
yeah, i would say the operative word here is 'survive' - in much the same way as a betta can 'survive' a tiny square container or you could 'survive' in a small square room. the question is, will the fish be happy?

I agree with the above, why would you want to put a fish through this, better off not having them at all. :roll:

lpiasente
Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:43 PM
Gold fish without a filter. Gosh I hope you do lots of water changes.

We can also survive in colder temps but lets face it who enjoys being cold. :wink: