PDA

View Full Version : GUYS HELP !!!!!!!

lyrical
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 02:35 AM
I got home last night and one of my discus seems to have this white stuff growing on the outside of it's eyeballs ..it most definately wasn't there yesterday morning.I had a crate with warm aged water sitting beside the tank to do a water change on the weekend and its got water conditioner in it l went out early this morning and got some pimafix and melafix and put that in the crate as well. l've just done the water change and l took out 1/2 a tank of water. But the fish seems to be running into things ...is there anything else l can do to help my fish..l've had them for over 18 mths now without one problem and l'm so in love with them and they've been growing, so beautifully as well.

TW
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 03:20 AM
I had a discus with popeye & it responded well to Waterlife's Myaxtin (sorry, spelling is wrong). Google Waterlife's products & find the one that matches the name closest.

Before that, you could try a salt bath. That was suggested to me, but in my case the salt didn't work.

Good luck.

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 03:44 AM
myaxin is very good do a big change before you start treatment, i find it works better at a 1.5x dose

TW
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 03:46 AM
Good to know about the 1.5X dosage. I'll try to remember that for next time.

Another good thing is, although the substance is green, it didn't seem to stain my silicon. Maybe I was just lucky though.

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 04:29 AM
it will stain silicone at a 1.5-2x dose depending on how often you need to use it, if it really worries you just put some bigger corner strips on the tank so you dont see it as much.

TW
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 08:08 AM
Hmmm, my displays don't have corner strips, as I don't really like that look. Luckily it didn't stain. But when I used it, I didn't know whether it would stain (or not). I like my discus better than I like my silicon, so I went ahead. The not staining was just a bonus.

lyrical
Thu Apr 23, 2009, 07:54 AM
Guys have any of you ever heard of using Iodine on a fish to treat popeye ???? ...............Guy at my LFS suggested l use Iodine on my discus eyes to treat it ..has anyone ever done this and if so was it successful..............He has discus himself

lyrical
Thu Apr 23, 2009, 02:14 PM
this white stuff is still growing over the outside of both of its eyes and now its swimming nose down inthe tank at the back ......l cant afford to buy antibiotics this week money is really short is there anything l can do for it besides using melafix or pimafix ...Its really upsetting me ....and l've done water changes and all nothing is helping ...the other 2 seems fine it sjsut this one who is sick please can you advis eme ..so l dont need to spend what money l dont have.

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face his sick and l cant afford to help him........

Hollowman
Thu Apr 23, 2009, 05:23 PM
Please don't panic...... :)

I think in the absence of meds, the other best med is water! Daily 50% water changes, aged and dechlorinated should be enough to clear this up. Sometimes, lots of good water is all that is needed.

H

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
steve is right , start doing daily changes, make sure you dechlorinate and heat your water before each change.

a few things you can do to help, increase the tank temp to 30-31C, add salt (rock salt will do) at the rate of 2tsp/40L.

stop using pimafix, melafix is antimicrobial, this stuff doesn't work well on discus, but if its all you've got then use it as directed.

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 24, 2009, 02:14 PM
where are you located are you in sydney?

lyrical
Fri Apr 24, 2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks Guys ...I did 1/2 a tank water change today and l've got more ready for tomorrow and temp has always been 30 to 31 .................no l'm in melbourne ....

some of the white stuff has gone from one side and it looks like the eyeball is gone the poor thing is blind.......from what l can see where there is a break in the white fluffy stuff it looks like there is a hole where the eyeball should be .................but the other 2 are fine ......l think my poor beautiful discus has gone blind......l've removed all the driftwood and the breeding cone l had inthe tank ..............so there is open space for it to move around in .......My poor beautiful patterrened pidgeon blood has gone blind ........on the other side of the eye where the eyball should be the pupil is white ...............

lyrical
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 12:31 AM
well l woke up this morning to find one of my discus that didnt look sick dead on the bottom of the tank ..now l see the other one who appeared to be fine now has the white stuff growing on the side of it body about the size of a 20cent piece..............what went wrong here ..........everything was fine for just on 12 mths not one problem now l lose a fish ......2nd one has a white patch on its side and the 3rd on who has the stuff on tis yes is still swimming around the tank on its side...............

Hollowman
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 09:39 AM
You have not posted up your water test results. Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte and Ph are needed asap.

If you found a dead fish in your tank, I would do a 100% water change asap. As soon as a fish dies, it will release toxins into the water, this is not good for the other fish.
Please try to get some pics of the other remaining fish, it might help to see how far gone they are. They might be saveable, maybe not.

Steve

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have a feeling i met this lady today at my LFS - gave her some stuff to use and a API ammonia test kit - if this is the lady - readings are approx as follows from what i saw:

Ammonia - 2.0-4.0
Nitrite - 0
Nirtate - 0-5.0

HOWEVER - Ph was pretty acidic ...

With Ph being acidic, and the Ammonia being above 0 - it could be acid burn, affecting they eyes first as this (apart from the gills) are one of the softest parts of the fish.

Without seeing her fish, it was hard to see exactly what the problem could be.

Gave her some Serra AmmoVec and NitriVec to get that ammonia out of there, She also bought a NitriZorb pouch - but said she has one in her filter (it could be exhausted - which would explain the sudden rise in the ammonia)... IMO

Hollowman
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 12:35 PM
Well, if you are right, there are the problems right there. :roll:

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 12:38 PM
BTW - Good luck - as i said to you (if it was you) i love discus - i hope they survive - keep your water changes and your chin up.

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Sun Apr 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
also, keep your air pump going flat out - you need as much oxygen in the water as you can get 1 because your running at a higher temp to try and help your discus and 2 because of the high levels of ammonia.