PDA

View Full Version : white poo treatment advice needed

scooby
Thu Apr 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi one of my Discus has a stringy whitish poo what is the best treatment?
It has not lost appetite the other Discus I still have not seen him eat.

Today I found one of my small angelfish dead and now the other one is on the top gasping for air. I've done a 25/30% water change, water parameters seem fine.

I have been reading some topics concerning white poo on the forum and feel confused as to what treatment to use (Metro or Levamisole).are these normal medication which is found in a pet shop?

Thanks

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 12:55 AM
levimenisole is usually sold as "pig and poultry wormer" metro is an antibiotic only available from vets.

if your fish are gasping I'm assuming your oxygen levels are too low, this usually happens when the tank is too hot, whats your temp?

shootmeup_elmo
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 06:54 AM
You could try ordering the metro from America, the have it on ebay.com

I recently ordered some and i came over no worries, quick postage too. Was $50 for 100 tabs at 500 mg strength.

I dont know how much it is at the vets so i cant give a comparison

hope this helps

Cheers
Ian

scooby
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks,
my temp is 28%, its the angel fish that usually seems to be gasping but maybe for 1 to 2 hrs then seems normal again.
Is there a similar treatment sold as the normal fish medications in aquarium shops :?

lpiasente
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
Metro is only available from vets if you give them a call and ask the vets or vet nurse if you bring in a photo of the sick fish and try and get a photo of the poo as well then they may give you the metro then. I printed of the dosage rates from here and the vet gave the meds to me no worries.

scooby
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 11:38 AM
THANKS' i'l try that

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
octozin by waterlife is also very effective, use at a double dose, metro is cheeper even after the vet consult (expect to pay bout $70 for an 80 tab bottle of octozin)

TW
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
octozin by waterlife is also very effective, use at a double dose, metro is cheeper even after the vet consult (expect to pay bout $70 for an 80 tab bottle of octozin)Is octozin available again? It was off the shelf for quite a while.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 18, 2009, 12:05 AM
it's comming in in small quantities some shops have it, my local had 4 bottles so i bought them all, still theres been a price increase.

DiscusDave
Sat Apr 18, 2009, 04:18 AM
it's comming in in small quantities some shops have it, my local had 4 bottles so i bought them all, still theres been a price increase.

Is octozin = metro? I've read that the active ingediant is either the same of chemically similar.

I recently ordered some and i came over no worries, quick postage too. Was $50 for 100 tabs at 500 mg strength.

I'm supprised customs didn't intercept that. You're not supposed to be able to buy it with a prescription. Maybe they're sitting outside your house right now in a big black van :?

shootmeup_elmo
Sat Apr 18, 2009, 09:24 AM
It came through no problems, just had aquarium supplies written on the brown package. :D

was $ 45.xx AUD for the 100 tabs at 500 mg, took 9 days to get here.

cheers
Ian

lpiasente
Sat Apr 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
octozin by waterlife is also very effective, use at a double dose, metro is cheeper even after the vet consult (expect to pay bout $70 for an 80 tab bottle of octozin)
Gosh my vet didn't charge me a consult fee just for the tabs.

ILLUSN
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 11:06 AM
the active ingredient in octozin is dimetridazole 8.5%w/w this drup is very similar to metronidazole, they belong to the same family and work in essentially the same way, metronidazole is absorbed better through the gills than dimetridazole.

metro is much better for discus its more effective, octozin is still much better than nothing but i find it usless at anything mless than a 2x dose for hex, I've used it a 3xdose for bad infections but in doing so i lost a clown loach and my bristlenoses were off colour for a few days.