PDA

View Full Version : How long can fish survive w/o filter?

Barracuda
Thu Apr 16, 2009, 07:16 AM
Hi I have a fish that needs to be quarantined, however I am wondering how long it will last if i dont have a filter in the QT tank (i can fit a heater and airstone). If I dont feed it for 3 days, will it survive for this long?

Old Dave
Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:15 AM
If you can provide sufficient regular water changes you don't need a filter.
How often depends on fish size & tank size. Keep the aeration up.
Some more experienced fish keepers can probably give you a percentage if you supply tank details.

How long do you need to maintain quarantine for?
New fish or illness?

I suggest having a sponge filter maturing in a main tank or sump.
Compared to your fish they're cheap!

JMO, HTH,

Old Dave

Barracuda
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 01:03 AM
I'm wanting to quarantine and medicate a dwarf gourami - it has developed some sort of red ulcer on it. I'm planning on using a multi-purpose medication (dont these meds kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter?) and leaving it in there for 3 days, so i cant really change the water.
The tank it will be in is a small one, around 6L (something like 27x14x16cm). The fish itself, being a dwarf, is very small so this is more than enough space for it. The only thing is that my sponge filter would be too big for the tank.

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 03:45 AM
you could change the water everyday and just redose the meds.

Barracuda
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have decided not to take the risk, i have put it into a 2ft with a sponge filter. I am now wondering, if the multi purpose med kills the bacteria in the filter, what is the filter doing?

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
airating the water, maintaing some flow to help with thermal control, mech filtration of uneaten food and small floating waste.