PDA

View Full Version : Biotype

rwel4809
Wed Apr 15, 2009, 10:40 PM
After keeping a planted discus set up for about 18 months I have decided to switch over to a biotype.

I plan to swap most of my collection of plants for mangrove roots, ditch the the gravel and switch to silica sand...

Any tips for the change over?

Where can I get Silica sand (I live close to the city in Sydney)

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Robert

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:25 PM
Clark rubber usually stock silica sand (pool filter sand) auburn aquarium had a very nice assortment of mangrove roots,

as for the change over get a spare tank or large food grade tub fill it with tank water hook up your filter to it then drain and strip your tank, lots of fun :)

rwel4809
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
I have made the switch from planted to biotype!

Here are some pics of the results... The discus love it and they are rewarding me with brilliant colours.. It is also really great watching their behaviour, they seem so much more at home among branches than they were among plants... I am a biotype convert...

I know my attempt at the biotype isn't quite as natural looking as others I have seen, but I wanted to keep it simple for maintanence and also I wanted to keep the background light to stop the fish from going too dark.

Look forward to hearing what you think :)

R.

rwel4809
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:46 AM
Just thought I'd add the stats:

300 litre tank. (60 x 100 x 50 cm)

approx 20kg silica sand (pool filter sand from clark rubber)

2 x large swords (devil's eye I think?!?)

various driftwood (mainly gum tree roots from queensland)

2 x 39 watt t5s (<1 WPG for low light)

six discus: golden anaconda (snakeskin), golden leopard snakeskin, rose red, checkerboard pigeonblood, blue diamond, red turk.

2 x rummy nose tetras (survivors of a baterial plague) - soon to get some more friends.

1 x Eheim 2217

1 x Jager 200 watt heater.

Best of all, now that the plants are gone I've made room for a couple more discus :)

Matt15
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 12:33 PM
lol @ more discus comment......;)

Robert i really loved your old tank, but this one too is growing on me. It does look very practical for maintence and those wood pieces look great.

Any chance you could post some larger pictures up for us....?

rwel4809
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 11:27 PM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the comments... Unfortunately I had problems with my heavily planted set up before... The balance got out of whack, had a nasty bacterial plague that killed just about everything except the discus (thankfully).

I figured that a biotype would be easier to keep clean, and I wouldn't have to worry about trying to keep algae eaters alive when things heat up in Sydney.

As it happens I can tell the discus really prefer the new setup, they are more active than they have ever been. They fight less also...

Here are some bigger pics... It is really hard to photograph the amazing colours the fish are showing, due to the tannins leaching from the wood which is making all the pics look a bit yellow... but take my word for it, they have been putting on an amazing show..

TW
Sun Apr 19, 2009, 11:43 PM
That looks very nice. I'm in the process of turning my wild blue/brown tank into bio type too. Like you, I'm not being too strict & there will be a few plants - but very minimalist for ease of maintenance. I'm stuck with the black painted background, as to change that I'd need to empty the tank. The light sand seems to be enough to keep the discus colours nice & bright though.

rwel4809
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 12:04 AM
Hi TW,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Like ILLUSN says, Auburn have some really great driftwood at the moment, it is worth making the trip to check it out... not too cheap though..

I look forward to seeing your biotype once its up and running... you'll notice some really interesting behaviour in fish, particularly if you set up an overhanging brach.... they love hiding under it, and swiming in and out of the branches...

R.

bartek
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 12:22 AM
HI Robert, it was good to meet you on the weekend.

Im not a huge fan of the biotype tank but I can see the appeal.

I would be hesitant on adding more Discus. I would think that may be a little small for that many discus.

How do you find the 2217 does with the water quality?

TW
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 12:30 AM
Hi rwel4809

I already have my driftwood & sand in there. It's just floating plants I'm still trying to sort out. My wood came from St George Aq - not cheap either. Will start a threaad soon, to share the picture.

I still have to find some for the wild green tank, but that will be a little later.

Yes, my guys sleep under the overhanging branches, so I think the instinct to do that must be pretty strong.

I guess bio type is not everyone's taste, but I am enjoying it. It is a change from my planted tank & less work.

rwel4809
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Bart,

Good to meet you too..

Eheim 2217 is great for the water quality... My nitrates rarely go above 5...though I do a 25% wc every other day.

the tank is 300 litres... judging by the 40 litres per discus rule I have space for at least one more fish, and maybe two at a push... I know plenty of people who keep more successfully...

I have been a huge fan of planted tanks for ages.. but you do have to be very careful... there are so many places for bits of beef heart and other nasties to get trapped in a heavily planted tank, leading to misery for all :(

TW,

Yes, definately enjoying the less work aspect!

All my friends think I'm crazy for spending $$$ on bits of old wood :lol: but it seem to be making my discus happy, and thats all that matters really...

R.

bartek
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 02:20 AM
I guess the 25% water changed every other day help with the water quality.

I run 2 x 2217s on my 6ft but change 40%-50% of the water once a week.

I haven't had a problem with beef heart or discus dinner getting stuck in nooks around the tank. Its a community tank as such so the kuhli loaches, tetras etc tent to clean it up.

I also tend to feed my discus a majority pellet diet.

Matt15
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 08:34 AM
I'm right behind you here Rob. One day should I change my setup i'll be following in simular footsteps for a biotype setup.

rwel4809
Mon Apr 20, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks Matt,

I look forward to seeing those wilds your planning to get... they'd look great in a biotype ;)

R.