PDA

View Full Version : Good Bacteria Question

TW
Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hi All

If you have a fully cycled tank & you add a sponge filter to the sump, so that you can use that sponge filter later in another tank - how long does it take before good bacteria is sufficiently built up on that sponge filter so that you could call it cycled?

Hollowman
Wed Apr 08, 2009, 04:47 PM
I would say that if you just throw a sponge in to your sump, it is going to take some weeks to get it to a mature state.
To get it to mature quicker in the same sump, you could run an airstone in the middle of it to draw water through it, like a normal huey hung type. then it will still take a week or 3 :)

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 08, 2009, 10:52 PM
i generally use 2 weeks as a minimum, but aim for 1 month.

TW
Thu Apr 09, 2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys

So, it needs to have an air pump running through it? I also put a bag of media in a stocking & have it hanging down from one corner - so that's not going to work?

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 09, 2009, 01:24 PM
that will work fine robyn, most of the time I run a sponge filter in a tank to seed it but i usually have a bag of media in a tank as well just sitting there, the media does pick up enough bacteria to get a new filter going, generally i use about 2L (of aged media) in a 2217 and 4L of new media.

TW
Fri Apr 10, 2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks ILLUSN