PDA

View Full Version : Danios

Barracuda
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 08:55 AM
Are they fin-nippers? Are they very active and greedy (like barbs)?

BobbyBruce
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Barracuda,

I haven't noticed any of the danio I have kept to be fin nippers.

They are very active and do like to feed.

You should also note that most danio are from temperate waters and less suited than most to the higher temperatures required by discus.

My favourite discus companions are the black phamtom tetras. An active fish, very showy and while not a big fish, more than a mouthful for a hungry discus. I sourced my latest group online (livefish) and they have fitted in really well. Coloured up very nicely, not quite black except for the shoulder patch which has an irridescent blue border. Females do not have the showy dorsal fin of the male. The ventral fins on the females are a salmon pink as opposed to the black of the male. Prolific spawners in a community aquarium but don't expect the fry to survive unless in a very heavily planted tank.

Regards,

Bob

Barracuda
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply

I am thinking of keeping the danios with angels with a temp around 26 deg, so i think that should be ok. I am looking at the longfin zebra danios online at livefish too - along with a couple of tetras.

As i have never ordered live fish online before, could you please let me know how it went for you? Fish arrived fast, healthy, ALIVE?

Thanks

BobbyBruce
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:00 PM
Order processed quickly.

Shipment delayed by 24 hours due to flood relief operations at the time. (Lost a couple of 2 cm neons), everything else was good.

As mentioned, regular spawnings with the black phantoms. The Bolivian butterflys have also spawned on a couple of occasions in the community tank.

Other people here have been less happy but I think the water quality we have here is probably to account for that. I am using RO at the moment and use condensate (pure water), off my split systems when the humidity is a bit higher.

Edit to mention, Angels I have kept seem to be very fond of "finny" fish (guppy, siamese, etc).

Regards,

Bob

Barracuda
Fri Apr 03, 2009, 07:49 AM
Order processed quickly.

Shipment delayed by 24 hours due to flood relief operations at the time. (Lost a couple of 2 cm neons), everything else was good.

Thats a shame. So how long did it take from the time you submitted the order to arriving at your door?

BobbyBruce
Fri Apr 03, 2009, 08:55 AM
Order place Sat 10 Jan, received Fri 16 Jan

Regards,

Bob

Barracuda
Fri Apr 03, 2009, 09:15 AM
Order place Sat 10 Jan, received Fri 16 Jan

Regards,

Bob

Wow thats quick!