PDA

View Full Version : Lump

Tracey73
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:03 AM
My red marlboro needs help! The last three days he has been clamping one fin, not eating and breathing heavy. Today I noticed that the fin he is clamping seems to be inflamed underneath. When looking at him front on, there is a definate large lump under the fin he has clamped. I tried to get a picture, but the picture does not show the inflammation of the lump, just the discolouration which is not as noticeable by looking at him, as what it has come out in the picture!

Any ideas on what this is? :(

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 6.8

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 06:15 AM
that looks to be infected, try some salt at 1tsp/40L

has it been flicking or scratching against anything?

Tracey73
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks Jothy but unfortunately he just passed away. I dont know what it is but i pulled him out into quarantine, dosed with the salt, and then 10 minutes ago I heard him thrashing around the tank and he died. I do not know what is happening, but over the last 6 months, everytime I have pulled out a discus and put it in quarantine, it has died within a few hours. I have had this discus for a year and a half, he was my very first and I am so heartbroken that I am no longer going to keep discus.
I can not take the hurt and pain it causes me, especially when I put so much time and care, I have nothing but the very best equipment, foods and pristine water conditions and yet I keep having these problems. This discus four days ago was 100% fine and then bang his gone. Really cant say much more at the moment, too upset.

BobbyBruce
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Tracey,

So sorry for your loss. I feel for you. Please hold on to what you have and keep learning.

In my other hobby I have had tragedy with my last two matings. I can't figure out why either but I do know the pain.

Regards,

Bob

TW
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 04:15 PM
Tracey, I'm so sorry for your loss and I can really understand where you are coming from. I had my own tragedy last Thursday. I lost 4 perfectly healthy wild discus, suspected cause poisoned cockroaches falling into my water storage barrel & dying there.

Perfectly understandable if you have a break for a while, because these deaths really are heartbreaking & take a lot out of you. But I hope you gather your courage and come back to discus one day, after you are feeling better.

Matt15
Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:37 PM
Tracey don't loose heart when keeping these gorgeous fish. We all have our ups and downs when keeping them nomatter how great the efforts we make to keep them healthy and well. Its just one of those things.......

DiscusDave
Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:08 AM
Please don't give up - I know your pain, it's heartbreaking to loose a favourite fish. But I still find the rewards outweigh the downers.

Tracey73
Fri Apr 03, 2009, 04:39 AM
wow thanks for the support everyone :colour
Still feeling a bit fragile atm :oops: but its comforting to know that you all understand the pain of losing a beloved pet. I still have four of my discus, whether or not I add more is something I will need to figure out! The four I have now are paired up and spawing so they are quite happy taking one end of the tank each :wink:

TW
Fri Apr 03, 2009, 09:12 AM
Tracey, glad you seem to be a little more up today. Extra glad it seems you haven't given up on your discuskeeping either.

Chin up