PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Setup for apisto's

DiscusDave
Sun Mar 29, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hi,

What size tank would people recomend for breeding a single pair of apisto's (sepcifically apisto gephyra blue tail if that makes a difference). I'd like to start breeding my pair - I've got a three ft tank which currently contains a pair of discus whic I may move out, and a 20l nano which has some CRS shrimp. If possible I'd like to use the nano but suspect it's too small?

Dave

Hassles
Sun Mar 29, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Dave

For breeding Apistogramma I would suggest, for a single pair of fish, a 2 foot tank as your smallest viable option. I cite the 2 foot as this size is employed my many Apistogramma breeders (including myself) and within the confines of a tank this size you can establish an environment that is complex enough to keep your parents alive post spawning. I have bred Apistogramma in 18 inch tanks but soon moved the parents on. I don't know what experience you have had with Apistos but I am inclined by your post to consider that your experience with these fish is limited. As such please accept this advice. Apistogramma females are 'usually' the lone care givers after spawning and are known to kill the males after breeding. Hence a small tank will only invite disaster.

I quote below from the Mergus Cichlid Atlas references to Apistogramma gephyra:

"Successful care is contingent on exceptional water quality. Even slight concentrations of organic pollutants leads to losses. Therefore, closely monitoring water values and performing regular, substantial water exchanges are of the utmost importance.

Soft acidic water is required for long term maintenance as well as breeding. Water temperatre should not be too constant, lest the fish become susceptible to bacterial infections and hexamita. Breeding is only possible in very soft water, acidic (PH <5) water".

The Mergus Cichlid Atlas also cites that the male, will also participate in care of the fry after 2 weeks.

The Apistogramma gephyra closely resembles A. agassizii and correct identification is not always easy. The body shape and morphology of A.gephyra is almost identical to that is A.agassizii.

If you manage to breed these fish I would keen to know ;-)

HTH

Rod
Mon Mar 30, 2009, 06:23 AM
Commercially small tanks are used for breeding
For an established pair of dwarf cichlids....a small tank 20l would work....remove male after spawning and female once free swimming....larger tank is desirable to raise fry to maturity

For a pair to get acquainted a larger tank is advisable and a 3 footer would be a Good size if the fry are raised with the parents

Personally I'd prefer a larger tank and raise fry with parents.....but this is not always the most productive and some parents like to eat their fry at various stages of development

Good luck!

DiscusDave
Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the info, I think I'll try initially in the 20L tank and establish a 2 footer in parallel. Sounds like it could be challenging :)