PDA

View Full Version : how much food

lpiasente
Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:17 PM
As you know I have a full grown heckle (the head standing one). I have never had such a big fish before and not quite sure how much to feed him. This morning I put in half a block of blood worm and it was gone in one mouth full so I put in the other half and he also polished it off in seconds. I haven't been giving him that much usually so now I wonder if I haven't been feeding him enough.

Hollowman
Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:39 PM
If you have the time to sit and watch him eat Leanne then feed him up. He'll stop eating when he's had enough. He does not have any competition right now, so as long as he does not bloat himself, feed little but often. It is good he has an apetite, so 4 times a day is fine Just make sure you are able to remove any uneated no more than half an hour later.

S

lpiasente
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks, funny there is never ever any uneaten food

Hollowman
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
:roll: Then if you have time......feed him more :wink: :D

lpiasente
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:37 PM
yep, i keep feeding feeding feeding. Yesterday he ate 1 whole block of blood worm followed straight away by 1 whole block mysis shrimp and was still looking for more. My concern was that he will over eat. (I had a fighter actually eat herself to death in a community tank). I feed 4 times a day. Is this how much they usually eat? I think I will need to get another job to pay for this fellas food :D .

Hollowman
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 08:49 PM
lol, yeah, just watch the bloat, fish can tend to fill themselves up and block themselves, then the epsom comes in handy