PDA

View Full Version : Ph for Discus

shell42
Thu Mar 26, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Newb Question,

I have a 3'X2X2 tank, its fully cycled and currently only housing a few BN catfish (commons, orange spots and peppermints) and 3 largish perl gourami out of my other tank (which will go back)

I was wanting to add a couple of display fish and I'm wondering if i should get more angels or a pair of discus, the tank would only house 2-3 discus, lots of amazon type plants and the BN cat fish

I was wondering about ph, my water is quite hard and the ph is naturally 7.4 - it is hard to move from that PH as well.

Is this going to effect the discus, I dont want them to breed, just be happy like all my other fishes. Can they live at 7.4?

The tank is well filtered and has good lighting, plants and dirftwood.

Also What are the blue-est forms of discus? as since the reason i want discus is to get a really cool looking blue fish. Angels really only do yellow really well, and I wanted something different than my display angel tank.

I don't want anything as agressive as african ciclids.

Thanks for your help =)

dwilder
Fri Apr 10, 2009, 04:50 PM
they'll be fine

Hollowman
Fri Apr 10, 2009, 06:14 PM
An adult pair will be fine, but you have to move the gouramis. Blue Diamonds are about as blue as they get, but check out the sponsors here, don't go to your lfs for discus.
Angels are not yellow though, check out Scalares or Altums :wink: