PDA

View Full Version : Filter media?

Lex
Fri Jan 28, 2005, 12:42 AM
One of my friend just gave me a second hand Jebo 809 filter for my new tank. However, it is missing all filter medias. Just wondering if anyone have use this filter before and know what media to put in each basket. It has 5 baskets inside which I have no idea what to put in there. Anyone have any experience? Also anyone know where is the cheapest place to purchase filter medias? LFS?

Bronx19
Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:53 AM
I tried a search for it and coudlnt even find their website...

kkiu
Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:30 AM
regardless of the filter you have. From what i know, you can use any kinda of filter media you want. As long as you can fit it in the compartment.

So then it comes down to what type (mechanical, biological, chemical?) of media and the order in which the water flows through it.

Mine is like this:

Inlet from the tank -> Big black course sponge -> finer wool -> ceramic tubes -> bio balls -> UV -> outlet back into tank.

Maybe look up other threads in this forum for other peoples variations.

Mattzilla
Fri Jan 28, 2005, 03:33 PM
matrix rocks are suposedly very good as well. i have them in my discus tank canister filter with some ceramic noodles, bio balls and plenty of fine filter wool (which is easy to change when cleaning filter)

skoom
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:23 PM
matrix good but expensive... =(
I use it for my marine tank.

I use eheim substrate.... not the cheapest either...

just regarding the order of filter material.... here's mine:

bioballs --> ceramic noodles --> coarse sponge --> filter substrate --> sponge --> cottonwool...

does the order make any difference?

i've heard the noodles are meant to distribute the flow evenly within the canister making filtration more efficient...thus put it at the beginning?

Proteus
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:08 PM
Course media first, working through to the finer media (filter wool)