PDA

View Full Version : New fry question

lillyd
Sat Mar 21, 2009, 03:22 AM
Ok I have 2 batches of fry hatch today. 1 in the display tank and one in a breeding tank. Do you think I could put the fry from the display tank into the breeding tank and get the parents to accept them as well.

Cheers Jane

Boyam
Sat Mar 21, 2009, 03:58 AM
i don't think any fry would survive a transfer when they have just hatched.

ILLUSN
Sat Mar 21, 2009, 07:11 AM
it's been done as long as the temp and ph are the same it will be fine i wait till the fry are just about to free swimm before moving them and use a cut down plastic pipette., just introduce them onto the side of the new partents the the other fry are attached and feeding and they wont even notice the new arrivals.

jtchia
Sat Mar 21, 2009, 07:16 AM
hey, what if the fry are slightly different in age and size? will the surrogate parents accept the new fry?

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 22, 2009, 04:11 AM
depends on the parents, my rose reds never have a problem, my turks notice whenever the fry are more than 2 days appart.

lillyd
Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:53 AM
ok fry are free swimming am going to try and transfer the ones in the display tank tonight. fingers crossed

lillyd
Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:14 PM
I had a successful transfer of fry :D Now we just have to wait and see. Keeping up with water changes and I am going to intruduce bbs tomorrow probably

jtchia
Mon Mar 30, 2009, 03:41 PM
how are the fry lillyd?

lillyd
Tue Mar 31, 2009, 06:23 AM
:( Lost them all unfortunately. They transfered really well but the next day they all settled to the bottom and stopped free swimming and died bit by bit over three days. I did water changes everyday but they didn't swim again and I didn;t have any BBS so i guess they starved. Waiting fo the next batch now

jtchia
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 07:18 AM
sorry to hear.
did you lose both batches of fry?

lillyd
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 12:12 PM
Yes moved the ones from the display tank into the breeding tanks and passed them all off as the same hatch. Oh well not going to mess around anymore. Going to pull the breeding pair out f the display tank and put them in thier own as well. They are the most reliable layers.