PDA

View Full Version : Altum's - Where do you get them??

Davo
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:08 AM
Does anybody know where can you get Altum's from and if they were available how much would they cost?

Dave.

kevkoi
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:38 AM
We've had altums before, but they are not regularly available on the overseas exporters list.

Then there are also wildcaught altums and only once had I seen these 'German Tank bred Altums" on the list. Have had a number of problems with the small wildcaught altums, but when I imported those tank breds, they were FANTASTIC! Ate flakes and pellets from the start and no casualties in quarantine. I was just at a customer's place tonight to check out his tank of altums (Greedy fella snatched 10 of the 25 tanks bred true altums I got the last time! :x ) and other fish, gee those altums have grown on very very well. I'll post pics of them in the next few days when I get the camera hooked up.

Ladyred on this forum (errm, she's not been very active on this forum these days) also got the last 4 of those altums from that shipment.... maybe she would like to update us on how her altums have grown?

Other than that, I'm on the lookout for some stabilised or tankbred altums to import, but they aren't often on the list. Note, the tankbreds were actually MORE expensive than the wildcaught ones, but for less heartache, they were worth EVERY CENT paid!

Kev

dreamer
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:43 PM
i agree with kev ...go with tank bred altum ..they may command little higher in price ..but less problem.

i learnt the hard way ..purchased 4 wild caught all died within 2 weeks. they were fine for the 1st week ..then god knows what ...they stop eating and die :x :x

Davo
Sat Jan 29, 2005, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Kev, can you give me a ball park figure on the price?

Dave.

kevkoi
Sat Jan 29, 2005, 11:02 AM
Last time we had some, they were about 4" tall and around the $75-$85 mark ea I believe.

Merrilyn
Sat Jan 29, 2005, 02:34 PM
Just to let you know I am still in the land of the living, and do pop in every now and then to have a peek.
The altums I got from Kev are fantastic, eat anything and growing fast. When I got them, they were about three inches from top of dorsal to bottom of ventral, now they are 8 inches and still growing. Fat and healthy, and full of personality. And yes, they are still living with discus, and no, I have never had any problem with disease.

Kev, let me know if you ever get any more tank bred altums in.

skoom
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:26 PM
how tall do altums grow from top to bottom?

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:13 PM
I'm still waiting to find out, but I believe 12 inches is possible.

raymb1
Sun Feb 13, 2005, 06:13 AM
If you want to import altums, check out <www.discushatchery.com> He is raising altums from German stock. Later, Ray

Proteus
Sun Feb 13, 2005, 07:30 AM
discushatchery.com doesnt help us at all... being that they are based in the U.S.

:(

kevkoi
Wed Feb 16, 2005, 04:31 PM
Woo Hooo..... Tank Bred Altums soon to be available AGAIN at SLS!! :lol: :lol:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2184