Was I close to cooking my fish?
How hot have you had your tanks?

Aurora
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:50 AM
38C is too hot, even for discus.

The hottest I've had mine is about 32C

leanne31
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:01 PM
I also live in adelaide 38 wow thats hot my tank never got over 30 which i have it set at but mines in a aircon room

Proteus
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 05:22 PM
If a tank gets that hot you just adopt measures to reduce it.

get a fan and have it blowing across the surface.

add some airstones to add more airation, another method to reduce the temp, have a plastic bottle of water frozen and float it for a while...

africandiscus
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 09:08 PM
I keep mine at 32c

chris
Fri Jan 28, 2005, 03:26 AM
It only got this high because of the warm weather it normally sits around 32 degrees.

Mattzilla
Fri Jan 28, 2005, 03:36 PM
you definately have to reduce the temp....i'd go for ALL of proteus' suggestions. i often have to face a fan to my tank so the temp doesn't go too high on a really hot day.

nag
Sat Jan 29, 2005, 04:55 PM
Hi:

Check your thermostat...and make sure its giving the right output...
Just to be sure... :wink:
Bye,

skoom
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 04:34 PM
maybe it's important to find a suitable location to keep the tank...e.g. coolest room in the house...

my discus are downstairs so well insulated from the heat.

i had a marine tank upstairs (hot) at one stage and quickly moved it out of trouble (cooler) before summer came. then again they are more sensitive...

luvmydiscus
Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:34 PM
Hey you are not the only one with temp problems. We just got back from Hawaii and my discus tank has been set at 82F. This has been the pefect setting for my fish and they like it best.

Well the tank went up to 88F I just about died, I turned it down a bit and over night it went down to 72F now if that aint a jump I don't know what is. Well happy to report that my discus and angel and other smaller fish are all just fine. They are hardier than they get credit for.

I am now slowly bringing up the temp again and tomorrow getting a new heater.

Good luck to you.

Aurora
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:12 AM
88F is 32C, so that is not a major problem, depending on how fast it jumped up.

But the overnight drop to 72F (22C) wouldnt have been a great thing. What did you turn it down to?

My heater is bad too. I use to have it set on 30C, but it kept going up to nearly 32C. So I set it on 28C, and it is always up near 30C, it was over 31C one day!

Proteus
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:20 AM
Using 2 Heaters = insurance...

i.e. on my tanks that require a 300w heater, I use 2 x 200w heaters, together they dont need to be as active as a 300w (total heating = 400w) but if one fails, the other will easily keep things in check.

'tis another reason why I always use minimum of 2 filters, and 2 thermometers... for a few extra dollars, peace of mind.

Aurora
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:42 AM
The heater I have is 300w on my standard 4ft. I tried a 200w on there and the temp drop down to 26C. So I dont think a 200w is powerful enough to keep it on the right temp, but your right, if you had two at least if one died the other could stop it falling right down and killing them.

Ben
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:06 AM
i would not be too stressed as long as it would not get above 40.c. i have raised the temp to 35.c and done a water change and dropped it down to29.c/30.c to induce spawing.

lesley
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:46 AM
There was a recent discussion on the Discus Page Holland where they were talking about summer water temps in parts of the amazon being 42.

I guess the definitive bit is how were the fish? I imagine they might not be happy over a long period, but for short term maybe they are okay.

Lesley