PDA

View Full Version : Discus with Natives?

bartek
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 03:27 AM
Wondering if anyone has kept native fish such as rainbows with discus and if they have what have they kept? Any problems?

Im particularly interested in the Pseudomugil gertrudae (Spotted Blue-eye) and Iriatherina werneri (Threadfin Rainbowfish).

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 03:46 AM
discus eat threadfins, well mine did. also rainbows are vegitarian and never did too well on the beefheart that the discus eat, you can add a spirolina flake for them as they'll eat from the surface. blue eys should be ok, they are opertunistic carnivours and again surface to mid level feeders, just watch the size once the discus get big.

bartek
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 04:22 AM
Thanks for that Illusn.

Good point about the eating habits.

I tend to feed my Discus mainly dry food made by New Life Spectrum with the odd Discus dinner and blood worm thrown in each week. They love it and eat every scrap.

I would have thought that the threadfins would have been ok since rummy noses and cardinals usually are.

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 04:37 AM
I think it was the fins, i can see how a slow swimming threadfin's fin would be mistaken for a worm, discus arn't strong swimers but threadfins are trully pathetic, my threadfins were also VERY small and my discus quite big so i guess i should have seen it comming.

bartek
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 04:53 AM
Ah ok I didn't know they were such poor swimmers.

In any case the discus I have aren't overly big apart from one so I may still give them a go and see what happens. I may get away with it. My discus haven't eaten any fish as yet but when I had angels one ate 5 cardinals...

Hassles
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 12:25 PM
For what its worth

I have mature Spotted Blue Eyes and mature Exquisite Rainbowfish in with my Discus and have observed no trouble what so ever. Also in here is a school of dwarf loaches, some plecos and a lone Apistogramma - all is well

DiscusEden
Sun Sep 20, 2009, 02:06 PM
I had half beaks in with the discus, which I think were blue eyes and were fine.

JamesNatty
Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:37 AM
I just want to keep clown fish in the tank..It is really very beautiful specifically tiny one,looks good!!

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the forum James. Are you talking about clown loaches? Not a good tank mate for discus fish. Clown loaches are nocturnal and tend to disturb discus while they're trying to sleep.

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
clown loaches also grow to over 12 inches in length

harley
Fri Oct 02, 2020, 01:46 PM
Hey, I,d like know if anyone has tried Fly River rainbows ( Melanotaenia Sexlineata) with discus. They handle up to 28’C and PH down to 6.5. At 6-7 cm they are not to big, but big enough not to be eaten I would think.

bellason
Tue Feb 15, 2022, 09:34 AM
You can't turn out badly with praecox rainbows, they are dazzling very close, another of my top picks is Madagascar rainbows!!! Truly COOL!!!