PDA

View Full Version : Marks on glass that i cant rid off

axl
Mon Mar 16, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hi,
its been a while since ive posted on here but i have got a problem with my front glass on my tank. There are spots on the inside of the glass that look finger marks and for the life of me i cant get them off. It looks sort of cloudy at the top with these clear marks. Hard to expalin any idears on what is a good glass cleaner to use. i have tried a glass cleaner and cloth already with no luck. Cheers Axl (there are aobut 5cm long)

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 16, 2009, 11:23 AM
sounds like a calcium buildup mate a little white viniger should take care of it, if not water down some HCl and that will fix it up.

axl
Mon Mar 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
thanks for the reply back, sorry whats HCI stand for and is it best do a wc and get the water level below the marks and then apply white vinger??
Cheers Axl

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 16, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah mate drain down to below the mark, add a little whit viniger to a clean clot and just wipe, it should come off in 1 or 2 goes.

HCl is hydrocloric acid, i use it to adjust my ph water it down to 10% and use it the same way (wear gloves!!!!!) it sould come off 1st pass.

axl
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hey,
tried vinger tnite and the marks are still there, where do you buy hydrocloric acid from?? Is it easy to get. Cheers Axl

atti
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Axl,

Any hardware store will have it, ask for "Spirits of Salts".

Cheers atti

rex82
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 01:31 PM
hi mate........... i'm a glazier.........sounds like water mark.......will never come off.........not much you can do about it whilst tank has fish in it...............

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
Mate head off to bunnings, its sold as diggers hydrochloric acid it cost bout $6 for 500ml.

if rex is right it right not be worth your effort, can you post a pic?

rex82
Wed Mar 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
if you look on an angle does it show up as rainbow colours like oil slick?

axl
Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hey,
it dosent look like rainbow colours when you look at it on a angle, there starting to show up all over the front of the glass. Tried some hydro acid tnite and that didnt. All the marks are long like a snake. any idears on what to do

rex82
Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:59 AM
is it where water has sat previously?

axl
Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:03 AM
Heres some pics of what the marks look like, mark is above the cannister outlet.

axl
Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:05 AM
no tank has always been full