PDA

View Full Version : 3D Background - What's your opinion?

ilaizm
Wed Mar 11, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hi,

If price wasn't an issue - What do you guys think of 3D backgrounds such as the Juwel Rock Background? Would you go for it or would you avoid it?

I've heard of problems when using it such as catching and trapping detritus. Another problem I found is that the material is quite thick and will therefore reduce the amount of water in tank

Hollowman
Wed Mar 11, 2009, 06:08 PM
I don't like them, I either paint or stick on a plain white or light blue background

H

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 12, 2009, 04:46 AM
I dont like the jewel's cause they're styrofoam and take up too much room the universal rocks latex background i like a lot cause they are only 5mm thick and have no join (just cut the roll to the length of you tank), i'm putting one in the new tank for the saratoga.

Jim Curtis
Thu Mar 12, 2009, 05:29 AM
I think they look awesome and if in the future I get another tank I will probably get one.

Dave+Amy
Thu Mar 12, 2009, 08:32 AM
it's really cheap (and safe for your fish) to make your own - you can make one with tree roots etc to mimic a riverbed etc if you're not a fan of the rockwall look

AHC
Thu Mar 12, 2009, 09:58 PM
I have a 5mm latex rock background you can have cheap. i took it out as i got over it - the LFS didnt silicone it in properly so it started coming off. Anyway. its yours if your interested. Its 3ft x 2ft

Bad Inferno
Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:25 PM
Do NOT get a juwel background. the color comes off after 3-4 months. I spent 100's on mine and had a hell of a job getting it out of the tank

Just find a shop with it installed and you will see what I mean, PM me I know two shops in VIC with it installed in display tanks and both have gone black. It is not algea, its the colour comming off and revealing the black styrofoam.

I got my money back.