PDA

View Full Version : power off

paddyedgar
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have been advised that my power will be off next week for approx. 8 hours. I live in Perth and have no real worries about temperature as it should be in the mid 30 's outside. I am concerned about oxygen levels.
Is there anything I can do. Unfortunately the power out is during the day and I will not be at home.

Any advice appreciated.

m.ingram
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:09 PM
i would go to my lfs and buy a battery powered air pump just to be sure that the fish have enough oxygen.

ILLUSN
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:02 AM
leaving the lids ajar would also help, a battery pump would bve the best way to go, ben from AOA has them for $10, cheap insurance.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 01:10 AM
Or you can get a long straw and sit there blowing bubbles for 8 hours. :oops:

paddyedgar
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks guys. I did not know there was such a thing as battery air pumps. I have ordered one express post and will hopefully have it in time.

My ears would be flapping if I had to blow that long Bigdaddy.

Old Dave
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have ordered one express post and will hopefully have it in time.

My ears would be flapping if I had to blow that long Bigdaddy.

First I have to get that picture out of my head!

Now, with your pump it will probably run on 2x D cells.
If you use re-chargeables you may find that they will give their all, literally, if they go until the pump stops.
I suggest you have at least one spare set of batteries and someone to change them after 4 hours if possible.
It might help if you can lower the water temp a little before hand as the amount of oxygen in the water reduces as the temp increases.

JMO, HTH,

PS. Do you run a cannister? Might need to think about that, too.

Old Dave

paddyedgar
Tue Mar 10, 2009, 03:40 AM
Yes I Have an eheim 2213 in the main tank. In the breeding tank I just have a simple sponge filter but I can attach the battery air pump to that.

Unfortunately in this climate there is not a lot I can do to lower the water temp.

thks for your help Dave

dwilder
Tue Mar 10, 2009, 03:54 PM
open up your canister filter when the power is off so the bacteria on the media doesnt die

paddyedgar
Thu Mar 12, 2009, 12:41 PM
many thanks guys. The battery air pumps arrived to-day (Thanks to Ben at AOA) so I am set up now and feel a lot happier.. I will post and let you know how I go.