PDA

View Full Version : tetras

lpiasente
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 03:32 AM
how many tetras can I have in a 4x2x2 with 8 discus. Water changes 3 times a week? neons, caridnals rummy nose harlequins

taksan
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 02:06 PM
as many as the discus can eat .....

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:51 PM
rummy noses are nice, discus like it a bit hot for neons, cardinals do quite well as do glowlights a school of 30would look fantastic, yes your discus will probably eat some, but i've kept adult glowlites with VERY well fed discus for years.

never tried harliquans though.

Matt15
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:58 PM
+1 to the rummy nose tetras. They are also good value for money.

lpiasente
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 12:42 AM
That's good. I am getting rid of my community tank and had heaps of tetras and was hoping not to have to give away too many. I had a few black neons and did find the discus snacking on a couple. I would have thought they would swim too fast for the discus. Thanks

iro11a
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 04:28 AM
harliquans are the best i got a school of about 20 they are more active than my cardinals and they look nice once they get bigger very redish colour and way to quick for the discus to even think about eating.

Matt15
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 05:52 AM
If discus are to eat tetras its usually during the night when everybodys sleeping.
Being quick certainly won't protect them. Protection comes more from size.

lpiasente
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 10:42 AM
I kept the rummynose and now I will get some more they look awesome

SusieQ
Wed Mar 11, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hi.. In my 4x2x2 I had 8 adult discus, 1 adult koi angel and 30 rummynoses.. no problems.. If you get the rummys and they are small just grow them out for a bit in qt.. you need to qt anyways so just keep them there a bit longer.. Over here sometimes they come in pretty small.. Also, if you are ordering them, make sure which rummy you are getting.. lately some folks have gotten some that don't have the red noses.. only a red mark by their eyes.. They are my favorite schooling fish.. My discus and angel never ate any but after I sold the dicus and put in rescued sevs, the rescued sevs ate all 30 in one night LOL.. I never expected that but should have known better....They were expensive snacks.. but I will have a large school again for sure.. HTH Sue :D

lpiasente
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 08:01 PM
as many as the discus can eat .....
You soooooo right 8 black neons in @$5.95 3 left. But happy to say all fish are very healthy , nothing like live food. :D