PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Filter

Barracuda
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:30 AM
Do sponge filters do ample filtration on its own? Will I be able to keep one in a 2 foot tank without any other filtration? Also, how often does it need to be cleaned? Are discus able to be kept with it or do they really require a canister filter?
Thanks for your advice :D

Hollowman
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yes, a single sponge in a 2ft tank will be more than ample. Make sure that it is mature before use, but running it in an existing tank if you can, otherwise you will have to cycle it properly before use.
Once mature, you can give it a squeeze out no more than once a week, unless it gets really dirty, but it shouldn't. Only rinse out in removed tank water when water changing. I generally use two buckets, fill then half way each and sqeeze out in one, then finish off in the other. Remember though, that this is the housing for the bacteria that look after your water, you mustn't over do it...ok :wink:

I think air driven sponge filters are way under rated by people. They are a cheap and very efficient way of filtering a stand alone tank, or addition to a bigger tank.

hth

H :)

ILLUSN
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:49 PM
my breeding tanks are all run on sponge filters I diy double sponge ones and clean 1 sponge (wash out in a bucket of tank water) once a fortnight

Barracuda
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 07:06 AM
So how often would i have to change the water if i had discus? Will it be less frequent if i have, say 2 sponge filters able to do 480L each, so 960L of filtration in a 100L tank? Will that work?

Hollowman
Mon Mar 09, 2009, 05:59 PM
Water change frequency is generally around 30% 3 times a week, no matter what your filter system is.

H :)

braddiscusfish
Thu Apr 09, 2009, 08:44 AM
The water that you change. Is it straight from the tap with some water ager in it?

DiscusDave
Thu Apr 09, 2009, 09:34 AM
The water that you change. Is it straight from the tap with some water ager in it?

You defn need to add a water conditioner, and you should age your water ofr at least 24 hours before adding it to your tank.