PDA

View Full Version : The best way to get discus to pair up ?

Scat
Sat Mar 07, 2009, 12:48 AM
Hi :D

Ive a large community tank for my discus which houses 33 discus (7x2x2) and everyone is happy and growing nicely but its a bit too busy in there for any of my discus to pair up.

What i would like to do is try and pair up what i think would make some good combinations and want to know the best way how to from expeirenced breeders on here.

I have 3 2x18x18 tanks and 1 3x2x18 that i can use for trying to pair up, and have been told that just putting a possible male & female probably wont work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

rex82
Sat Mar 07, 2009, 04:45 AM
grab six or so adults of the same variety and put them in a tank together and wait..........plenty of water changes and good food is the only way...........just wait for them to put some condition on..........

Matt15
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 01:02 AM
Craig thats alot of fish for one tank. Event with those numbers thou they should still pairup themselves although they would never get any peace and quiet to do what they want to be doing..;)

I would choose the fish you wish to pair 1x male 1x female and simply place them into a breeding tank. Obvisouly they will need a week or so to get used to each other but they will eventually pair up being the ONLY fish in the tank. HTH

Scat
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 02:19 AM
Hi Matt,

There`s still quite a few im unsure of their sex yet though ?

Craig

Matt15
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 03:14 AM
By all means take photos and post them here for us to judge (guess) there sex. Often just by watching your fish swim around for hours on end you'll beable to tell the males for the females even before they mature.

Scat
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks Matt :)

Will post some pics soon of the ones i not sure of their sex.

Cheers :)
Craig

Hollowman
Sun Mar 08, 2009, 09:36 AM
I wanna see a whole tanks shot, thats some big tank. :)