PDA

View Full Version : Cant decide what it is.....

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 09:16 AM
I have one discus that is suffering from this ailment. He has no other symptoms other than these bits of white stuff that comes and goes. Each time a bit pops up it only lasts for a day or 2 then disappears. Its white and about 2mm long.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh264/BigDaddyAdo/fFshMarch09-1022.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh264/BigDaddyAdo/fFshMarch09-1025.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh264/BigDaddyAdo/fFshMarch09-1028.jpg

Any ideas?

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 10:58 AM
Decided to give him a salt dip.........

iro11a
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:11 AM
sometimes mine get the same thing goes away and i never worry about it i think it could be when they are a bit more stressed then normal what i noticed with my BT

Scotty Bils
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yep, my Discus get the same also. Again they go away by themselves. I put it down to Discus puberty and they are getting pimples lol :D

Seriously though, I alway have a good white spot remedy on stand by just in case.

Matt15
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 12:29 PM
Same here Ado. They always go away and I'm under the impression they are simply caused by rubbing or running into something in the tank.

Beautiful fish and planted tank too.... would love to see more photos if u have the time.

TW
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 01:24 PM
Nice tank Ado. Do you have any other substrate under the sand for the plants?

Hollowman
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:03 PM
I salt dip will help for sure, but my observation are making me look at the overall condition of the fins and caudal.
They do look quite ragged and torn, so it might be a bacterial infection. It would be intersting to know what your water change regime is Ado. You mostly get these fluffy growths over the eye and alone the lateral line, which could be hith. But I don't think so in this case. Maybe up your water changes, the bioload might be a little high, and see how it goes.

H :)

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:56 PM
Im sure its not HITH as they pop up on the fins too. The tank is definately not overstocked imo.

He has had a few run ins with one of the other discus who is not happy with the current pecking order. He has only become a little ragged over the last few days.

I change about 40% every 3 days with a good vac ach time.

What salt/10L mix would you use for your salt dip?

Thanks guys

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 08:42 PM
And if i decided another salt dip was needed how soon could i do it?

Hollowman
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 08:44 PM
Try this:

Salt dip:
2 tablespoons per gallon water. ANY salt so long as ther are no anti-clog additives. Iodised salt is safe, cooking salt is cheaper.

Mix in a clean bucket with water of the same temp or from the tank. Net fish and place into bucket. After 30 mins remove back to clean water, if the fish rolls before the 30 minutes is up then remove it straight away to clean water

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:16 AM
30 minutes in that much salt? I would have thought more like 30 seconds.