PDA

View Full Version : are these fish gonna be chill with discus

-TOBY-
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 08:19 AM
i am new to discus and am still setting up my new 4ft tank and was wondering are these fish gonna be ok with discus

5x clown loaches
1 or 2 black ghost knife fish not sure?
10x congo tetra (8 female two male)

if you think they are not great what can you reccomend then

BobbyBruce
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 08:51 AM
As far as water parameters go these fish should be okay.

Ghost fish are similar regions but can grow to 20 inches, congo tetras are an African fish and the clown loaches are Asian.

You should perhaps also consider the plant types you would put in (if any) and conditioners such as black water extract or the use of peat/sphagnum moss in your filters.

Not sure how the mix would work together in regards to parasites, diseases and temperaments.

Regards,

Bob

-TOBY-
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 09:09 AM
thanks bob i am currently using peat moss
and whatever plants look the coolest at the fish store

and by the sounds of it have a very multicultural tank planned

iro11a
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 11:18 AM
IMO i would't be having any of these kept with discus clowns are preaty quick although u can get away with having them i did for a while but got sick of them punching holes in new shoots of plants,

BGKF my brother had one and got well over 30cm and i have never seen anyone have them with discus before although my bro did have it with angels and they seemed to go ok so maybe?

CONGO bit of a large tetra and might be a bit of a quick swimers for discus

As far as your tank goes a 4 ft tank should be alright with 5-6 discus depends how many litres you got.

Matt15
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 12:12 PM
Toby i've had both congo tetras and a ghost knife fish and can offer the following advice.

Congo Tetras
They are a large pretty tetra that swim very fast around your tank. This can sometimes put your discus off especially if your discus are out numbered and introduced 2nd. They also eat some plants.
They aren't ideal but they can certainly work if you do it right.

Ghost Knife Fish
Again another beautiful fish but they can grow very large and require a sheltered cave. The problem I had with mine was that he was eating my rummy nose tetras & cardinals for dinner once the lights went out.

Clown Loaches
Given you already have 5 clown loaches I would not recommend putting them in with any discus.
Discus are what some call the KING of the aquarium. Therefor they are idealy kept as the predominant fish. All other fish in a community tank should complement them.
Fish like Corydoras & smaller tetras are the best.

Matt15
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 12:15 PM
Toby i've had both congo tetras and a ghost knife fish and can offer the following advice.

Congo Tetras
They are a large pretty tetra that swim very fast around your tank. This can sometimes put your discus off especially if your discus are out numbered and introduced 2nd. They also eat some plants.
They aren't ideal but they can certainly work if you do it right.

Ghost Knife Fish
Again another beautiful fish but they can grow very large and require a sheltered cave. The problem I had with mine was that he was eating my rummy nose tetras & cardinals for dinner once the lights went out.

Clown Loaches
Given you already have 5 clown loaches I would not recommend putting them in with any discus especially not in a 4ft tank. You need to becareful here not to over crowd your tank. Discus demand lots of clean water.
Discus are what some call the KING of the aquarium. Therefor they are idealy kept as the predominant fish. All other fish in a community tank should complement them.
Fish like Corydoras & smaller tetras are the best.

Hollowman
Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:42 PM
i am new to discus and am still setting up my new 4ft tank and was wondering are these fish gonna be ok with discus

5x clown loaches

1. No
2. No
3. No

iro11a
Tue Mar 03, 2009, 01:33 AM

5x clown loaches

1. No
2. No
3. No

well put Hollowman,

Toby if you want size schooling fish cardinals or harquilin rosbora hopefully right spelling i have about 20 each in my tank and the Harquilin'si noticed school alot more and they look nice very active and swim up the top alot where as my cardinals hang down the bottom alot more and dont school as much but both make great tankmates for discus,i can even hand feed the harqulins at the moment because my discus are in hospital tank which i think its preaty cool

jono