PDA

View Full Version : Tannin

Aurora
Tue Jan 25, 2005, 11:49 AM
Just wondering, does anybody know how long it takes for driftwood to release all its tannin? Or does it never stop?

This is assuming you havent boiled it first.

Majesticaquatic
Tue Jan 25, 2005, 04:55 PM
It is not Tannin you are really refering to.... what you are seeking is "humics" which develope from decaying vegetation (ie.. also wood)..
These are an Essential element to the Discus water chemistry and very beneficial in developing slime coat through stimulation of immune systems as well as providing nitrifying bacteria cultures beneficial to breaking down of solids and waste...
Also benefical in suppling infusorites which can benefit Discus fry. :wink:

kalebjarrod
Tue Jan 25, 2005, 10:20 PM
Tannin is the pigmentation realiesed out of the cell wall in most of australian trees, and alot of exotic trees.

unfortunatley alot of australian trees deal in such dry condidtions tannin levels can build up in the branches and be awfully overpowering, i do suggest boiling wood or useing very old wood. understand that some of the australian speiecs you will chosse for there "kwirky properties" are from the myrtacae family, these contain extreme high levels of oils, not many animals can survive of these products in the wild without speical stomachs.

I think discus would not do as well under these conditions, although i have not tried it without boiling or old wood (hate to see my fish suffer)

what you are seeking is "humics", humics also know as humis is a biproduct of decaying would, tannins are realised prior to and during decay but then will stop, the "humics" process will take longer to start and will then continue for a much longer period of time. :wink:

this is a natural and good process for discus, it relases alot of natural product's we simpley can't produce with our clean aquariums

Aurora
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 05:24 AM
So does this mean my water will continue to turn tea coloured for a long time?

I brought the driftwood with plants already on them, so I dont know if they were boiled beforehand. I obviously cant boil them now, so was just wondering if it will ever stop or will always continue.

Littlefish
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 06:02 AM
I had the same effect in one of my tanks some time ago. The wood continued to discolour the water for about a month, without any obvious distress from the fish, after which the water came clear. I guess the size/type of wood determines the amount of exudate and therefore time to clear.

kalebjarrod
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 06:06 AM
the type of wood will affect the water quality

if you purchased the wood with plants attached you have probabley already leached most of the tannins while the plants attached themselves

plus a supplier would not stay in business for long if every dritwood creation he supplied killed the customers fish

i would say your safe from problems, i was more so talking about wood you have collected yourself

Majesticaquatic
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 06:38 PM
Always to bear in mind that most wood is porous and therefore often absorbs and retains potential toxins and so one should be very cautious about collected wood... I would believe QUARANTINE of ANYTHING going into the Discus environment/tank is IMPORTANT...
Floating/sinking for awhile in a controlled environment (free of other lifeforms) will often reveal many potential problems (if any) including polutents, molds, bacteria, leeching, etc.
[By controlled environment I am refering to duplicating conditions in tank you wish to place the piece as temps., Ph., Dh., etc have affect..]
2 cents worth... but might save a few $100 down the road??? :wink:

Aurora
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks

I am not worried about it causing any problems to the fish, it is purely a visual thing. I have had them for about 3 months and they havent caused any problems to the fish.

Majesticaquatic:
These 2 I have were in the Discus tank at the shop I got them from, so they obviously arent releasing any toxins, etc. But it is good advice for people who are going to collect their own.

jwight
Thu Jan 27, 2005, 05:41 AM
The discus should actually prefer the tea colored water thats where they come from. They live in the wild like that around driftwood. The longetivity depends on the piece of wood. I have had on epiece turn the water yellow for around a year but the latest piece in my discus tank does not turn it at all. Soak all store and self collected pieces for at least one month.

pitchblack
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:41 AM
brb

pitchblack
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:42 AM
brb

pitchblack
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:47 AM
just testing before he he sorry!

I had huge problems when I started up my discus tank. I love bog wood in the tank but it released huge amounts of tannin. I know to boil the wood but how do you boil a piece 1meter long??? It gave me alot of trouble and I drained my tank several times trying to get rid of it. I got onto a place in st kilda in meblourne that treats the drift wood and it doesnt release any tannin. I cost $120 but I didn't have any problems. Another alternative is if you have a canister filter like mine which is a fluval 404 is to buy bio zorb its costs around $30 and you need two in the bottom of the filter it gets rid of any discolouration in the water including tannin. Ive never turned back crystal clear water

good luck!!!!!

Aurora
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:34 PM
Interesting about the biozorb. Do you buy it at the LFS?

flukes
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 10:08 PM
Its like pouch, comes in a pink tub. The cheapest i found it was about $20. Fairly expensive but seems too do a good job.

funkyfish
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 03:38 AM
activated carbon works good to i filter my water with peat and it takes all the color out of the water good luck with ur wood

pitchblack
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 11:01 AM
you can buy it from aqua force. they have plenty of stores if you want the number look in the trading post. Their the cheapest ive found for bio-zorb.