PDA

View Full Version : Building your own aquarium

nanik
Thu Feb 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm planning to build my own aquarium, can anyone share their experience where to buy good but not too expensive glass from in Sydney ?

Thanks for your help

AHC
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 02:17 AM
If you want quality - try the forums sponsors! :wink:

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:48 AM
Excel Glass on Victoria Rd, West Ryde. I have known them for 20+ years. Top guys that will be happy to help you out.

AHC
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry nanik, I mis-read your question. :oops: 'Building' your own yourself. Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it. :

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a pain the arse to me....;)

A photo journal would be great !!!! What size tank?

Hollowman
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:09 PM
The size of your tank now is completely in your hands, depends on what you want it for and where it is going.

Last weekend I had to remake an 5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank. It was an old one I bought from a friend, and it had been in his garden for a fair while. As it was a bit ropey, I decided to strip it out and re-seal/glue it up. The most important thing for me is knowing it will be up to the job, and being an engineer, I like to have things right. Once the old sealant was cleaned out of the corners, using a stanley knife, I made a tool for re-applying the sealant. I think we all know what a pain this stuff is to use, so finding a way to get a bubble free bead of sealant was crucial.

Basically, I made a scraper from a 4" wide piece of perspex. It was made as accuratly as I could, and it worked a treat. The photos below show the scraper.
To use it, you sqeeze in a large bead of sealant right into the corner of the tank along the whole length to be sealed, then use the tool to spread the sealer in a uniform width and size. You have to make sure that the tool stays at 90 degrees to the tank sides to stop any unwanted spread, and leter clean up. The angle on the face of the tool is very important as it guides the glue in and leaves the smooth professional finish. Easy. I'll post up a few pics of the finished result as soon as I can. For now, just the spreader tool I made.

Hope this helps a bit, specially if you are going to make a tank youself.

H :)

Hollowman
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:11 PM
2 more.

Note, the 15mm that I have indicated can be made smaller to suit a smaller tank. But I was after strength as i said before.

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:18 PM
you can get a premade plastic device just like steve's from bunnings round $6 for a pack of 4, will save you so much effort when you got to glue your tank together, I'm resealing a 4x2x1.5 on the weekend, will try and get some photos of it up for you.

Hollowman
Thu Mar 05, 2009, 11:09 PM
you can get a premade plastic device just like steve's from bunnings round $6 for a pack of 4, will save you so much effort .

:shock: Wish we had Bunnings here :roll: Would have saved me some time. :lol:

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 06, 2009, 12:17 AM
Theres not much weight in them mate i can post you a couple if you like, they're no where near as classy as yours they're also ment to be disposable but you can get a few uses out of them.

Hollowman
Fri Mar 06, 2009, 05:31 PM
I am sure we must have them here somewhere, but there's nothing like hand made :lol:
Thanks for the offer though ILLUSN, still might take you up on it.

Steve

rex82
Sat Mar 07, 2009, 04:50 AM
glazing shop will have them..............they're called a spatchulla( spelling)

Hollowman
Sat Mar 07, 2009, 10:30 AM
I found this :roll:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28167/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealant-Applicators/Fugenboy-Kit-1-BMFG1

shootmeup_elmo
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 09:17 PM
Price wise is it any cheaper to make your own tank ??
Say if you wanted to make a standard 4 x 18 x 18 would you come out on top, or if you made 4 of them would it be better money wise ?
Or is it cheaper to buy for a supplier ?

Thanks
Ian

Hollowman
Sun Mar 29, 2009, 09:52 AM
I'll tell you a great place to get tanks, Ebay!! There are always people who get disillusioned and are selling tanks off cheap. Even if they are not in the best condition, you can strip apart, clean and re-assemble. I have done this and made a couple of nice tank.

Just a thought :)

shootmeup_elmo
Sun Mar 29, 2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks Hollowman

I actually just missed a 4 ft tank which was around the corner. I was short by $1.xx something. oh well. keep looking

Cheers
Ian