PDA

View Full Version : How Long in the Grow Out Tank

pink66
Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:27 AM
Hi Everyone, just a quick Q about growing out babies.. My babies are now about to turn 5 month old. Not including the tails, my largest is about 8-9cm and the smallest is about 7cm. (hard to get them to hold still to measure LOL)

I am wondering, at what size - age is it ok to integrate them into the display tank. I am just wondering... no great urgency, they are doing so well but i am concerned that 5 fish in a 4ftr (185 ltrs) will only work for so long..(i like a min of 60ltr per fish) I am worried that as they grow it will be classified as overcrowded.. which could lead to issues with the fishies.. :(

p.s are their sizes about right for their age, i have never grown out babies before :)

Hollowman
Thu Feb 26, 2009, 06:05 PM
Sharon,
I would say they are not doing too bad, but they should be at 6" in a year, so still time yet. Keep up big, regular water changes, lots of good food and they will grow. A year is about right to do the job properly.

pink66
Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:18 AM
Hi Steve,

I check my water quality every day. With the amount they are eating and subsequently "pooing" I do a minimum of 2 buckets each day with a 50% water change every 2-3 days.. If the ph even remotely looks like moving I increase the wc's.

So, the goal is 15 cm in 12 months.. I like a challenge 8-) 8-)

I am really enjoying growing out these little guys.. So far so good.. To me anyway they have good shape, a good small eye, and the colour is coming on well. I cannot wait for them to make their way into the display tank..

Hang on, 14 fish in a 5x2x2 wont fit.. I feel a second display tank coming on. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hollowman
Fri Feb 27, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Steve,

I feel a second display tank coming on. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh yeah :wink: