jimmyg
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 03:11 AM
More pics

Boyam
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 04:35 AM
wow id like to have the fry

scoob
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 04:53 AM
That is awesome did you buy them as a pair ?

jimmyg
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 06:21 AM
Sure did

Davehs11
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 09:10 AM
Beautiful looking fish Jimmy,
great buy.
Thanks Dave.

Davehs11
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 09:12 AM
Beautiful looking fish Jimmy,
great buy.
Thanks Dave.

mcloughlin2
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 10:42 AM
Where abouts are they from and how much did they set you back?

Matt15
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 12:49 PM
That male is absolutely stunning....!!!!
Awesome display.

Hollowman
Mon Feb 23, 2009, 06:44 PM
A fancy name gets the top money I'm afraid. :shock: They are just a pigon blood and a Marlboro.

That said, they are both stunning fish. Good luck with them Jimmy :wink:

jimmyg
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:05 AM
I bought them from a well know source and he even stated on his site and in person "Not Pigeon Based!!

They don't even have one ounce of peppering.

Hollowman
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 05:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think they are lovely fish Jimmy, they look great, but unless I am wrong, (and others will tell me I am sure :wink: ) they are both pigeon based fish.
If they are not pigeon based please get your supplier to tell us exactly what they are and their parentage.
You also tell us there is no peppering Jimmy, only pigeons have peppering, if your supplier said they have no peppering, he is talking about PB's, you don't get that in blue based fish.

:)

mcloughlin2
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:20 PM
I bought a malboro that look exactly like the discus pictured in the above photos with less patterning from a previously well reputated aquarium. It had not a single dot of peppering on it when i purchased it but once the hormones/colour enchancer wore of it gradually got peppering on its body.

I'm not saying this will happen with your discus, but I'm in complete agreement with Hollowman with this. They are nothing but a malboro and a pattern pigeon. :wink:

Hollowman
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:07 PM
Mc,

Have you tried putting the fish (if you still have it) in a light painted tank, this will remove a lot of the peppering. :)

Mattzilla
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:40 PM
absolutely stunning fish, but yes they are pigeon based.... just very clean

can't wait to see fry from them

Hollowman
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:48 PM
absolutely stunning fish, but yes they are pigeon based.... just very clean

can't wait to see fry from them

I agree on both counts :wink:

Matt15
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hollowman is spot on. They are certainly pigeon based fish.

I've purchased many pigeon based fish without any peppering many times before. But once they settle into a planted tank environment peppering will always occur.

jimmyg
Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the info fellas I will ask the prevouis owner what they are breed with when he gets back off holidays, they have settled in nicely.

jtchia
Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:34 AM
nice fish!

Ben75
Mon Mar 23, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Jimmy,
I really like your fish. Very intense colour.
Hope they produce lots of fry for you.
Regards,
Ben.

nchutz
Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:49 PM
Rafflesia...??? hehehe ask the breeder to give you the same exact fish but without color feeding... then you'll be suprised that they will look exactly the same like these fish of mine...

3 inch
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/nchutz81/DSC01999-2.jpg

4 inch
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t205/nchutz81/DSC02770.jpg

Some of them will be blank-patterned in the body and look like Marlboro, only cleaner and surely no peppering at all like you said... but some of them will also patterned in the body but will not full-patterned like Pigeon gene... I called them "Golden Platinum"... a very popular discus strain here in Indonesia...

jimmyg
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 05:01 AM
I spoke with the seller and he stated: -
Please send me some pics of the fish, so I can send them to the seller/agent in Malaysia.

I made this enquirey previously and asked where they came from. The quote below is as stated from the seller/agent:
As for the Rafflesia, they are fron batches of 4th and 5th generation of German Red, crossed with the 2nd Generation Melon. 50% from this cross looks very solid dark red with faint stress bar(probably because of it's dark red colour), and the rest very dark red marlboro-like discus.

Some varients of Discus like Blue Diamonds, Red Golden Diamonds, etc have a characteristic bruise type of colouration, unless they are keep in perfect condition, and are leaders in the hyracy. Light background colours like a white painted tanks also help to improve the colours of these fish. Avoid dark backgrounds.

To maintain the super red colour in these strains of fish, they do require colour feeding. Colour feeding helps to prevent any type of imperfection. Chlorphyll red, Astaxanthin, and CR-10 are well know colour enhancers for red fish. The more the better. As these are natural, they will not affect the breeding or organs of the fish.

If you want some red colour enhancers, let me know.

They have started to show the peppering around the head and over the body. I feel total ripped off about this and can't believe a well know seller of discus would do this.

I am wondering what you guys reckon about this. He did state it on his forums they are No pidgeon based but it has been removed.

Thanks

ILLUSN
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 07:31 AM
live and learn jimmy, this is one of the reasons most of us wont buy from that particular shop anymore.

albatrozz
Sat Mar 28, 2009, 09:13 AM
Am very sorry to hear about that Jimmy. I know where you got them from and i very well know about this 'discus seller' and his shop. They are very well known for their outrageous prices and lies. I would suggest you give them a ring and find out what their response is, would be interesting to know what they say.

jimmyg
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 10:58 AM
I have sice spoke with the so Called Discus Fish Shop and he is nothing but a lyer and I reckon everyone should know not to buy from them as he a biggest rip off I have ever seen.

The thing I like the most was he said on the phone I can sell you some really good colour enchancer that covers the peppering for 300g it will cost $200. He must think I am an Idiot

he is trying to tell me that you can pure Wild Discus and they will pepper, what a load of crap. I have been in contact with Fair Trading and they are handling it.

The owner George even goes as low as not answering PM's I send and even deleting messages he sent me to cover his tracks but he stuffed up, he has even gone to details of removing information from his posts to cover his tale, but he is making it worse.

Thanks
Jimmy

Can I post the name of the people of make a post so no one else gets ripped off by this loser.

ivo
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 12:14 PM
Hi jimmy, I m interested to know(if u would share the info) what was his explanation of why peppering occurred when they were advertised as non pigeon based discus?

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 12:25 PM
we all know who he is if you do a serch through old threads for "discus kingsford" you'll find many posts like yours, theres no need to name and shame just buyer beware, if something sounds too good it usually is.

Mattzilla
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 12:49 PM
sadly this is not the first time this guy has screwed people over

sorry to hear about it mate

fingers crossed the department of fair trading will help you get this sorted out

Matt15
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 01:23 PM
Best of luck Jimmy. I'm glad your taking action mate and I hope you receive some feedback from Fair Trading soon. I'm guessing its usually a draw out process but will be worth it in the long run.

mcloughlin2
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 08:53 PM
To any newbies who do not know what shop we are talking about, please feel free to PM me and I will disclose the name.

I was screwed over by this store too - I bought a malboro red only to have it develop peppering and start loosing its uniform red colouring within weeks. They are a complete rip off and are very unethical.

He states that they show stress bars. What a joke. If he is referring to the German red pigeon bloods then there should be no evidence of stress bars as they are pigeon bloods.

He is also telling you to keep the tank light as darker colours brings out the peppering.

mcloughlin2
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 08:56 PM
Mc,

Have you tried putting the fish (if you still have it) in a light painted tank, this will remove a lot of the peppering. :)

That fish is loooong gone. All the discus I purchased from that place died shortly after I got them. Suprise, suprise I never lost a discus until I got them. They were so prone to diseases it wasn't funny.

jimmyg
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hi jimmy, I m interested to know(if u would share the info) what was his explanation of why peppering occurred when they were advertised as non pigeon based discus?

Hey Ivo that is the funnest thing mate he has edited the post were he is selling the Fish to take away Non Pigeon Blood.

His explanation was that his other store still states they are from: - I made this enquirey previously and asked where they came from. The quote below is as stated from the seller/agent:
As for the Rafflesia, they are fron batches of 4th and 5th generation of German Red, crossed with the 2nd Generation Melon. 50% from this cross looks very solid dark red with faint stress bar(probably because of it's dark red colour), and the rest very dark red marlboro-like discus.

but on the phone to teh drop kick he reckons that even the wild dicus you get from the Wild even pepper this is why you don't know what you are buying.

Hollowman
Sat Apr 04, 2009, 10:25 PM
but on the phone to teh drop kick he reckons that even the wild dicus you get from the Wild even pepper this is why you don't know what you are buying :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wild fish, never heard so much rubbish in my life :evil:

Pigeon Bloods are the only fish that develop peppering. There have been no reports of a pigen blood EVER being found in the wild. Pigeons came from a genetic mutation back in 1987-90 mostly out of Thailand.

I hope this guy gets all he deserves. :twisted:

gabriel_15
Fri Jul 17, 2009, 03:04 PM
Awesome pair and batches of discus.

They are very beautiful indeed.

Any updates there?

fiftycal
Mon Aug 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
Just found this thread and wow...I knew that shop was pretty damn low before, but this is just pathetic.

How can you mislead people like that? Its so incredibly low.

I was considering going to that shop to see if anything has changed, but it looks like it hasnt. I only buy my fish from trusted places. The 2 places I bought my latest fish from were not pushy at all, gave me great and honest advice, and actually gave me discounts without me asking.

To sell you things that are not as described is one thing. It could be an honest error. To continously lie and decieve when you pointed out to him that they were not what they are described is another...

Oh and this same fish shop has threatened legal action against another forum before...

Rossco
Mon Aug 17, 2009, 01:10 PM
Very Very Very nice Discus in the above photos.

Simply Stunning..........

AHC
Wed Aug 19, 2009, 01:32 PM
Despite these fish looking fantastic - i still think pigeon bloods are the biggest mistake in discus history. Death to peppering! IMO.