PDA

View Full Version : Tank choice - ideas

DIY
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 12:14 PM
Hi all,

I've been planning a 6foot tank for a while now. I had one on order from my LFS (6x2x2 curved edge for $1700) but now they look like they are unable to get it.

After some searching I've come up with 2 choices that I'm thinking of, and more importantly "the boss" is happy to have in the house.

Choice 1.
brand new 6ftx1.5ftx2ft(tall) (1800x480x600mm) 460 litre sunsun. it is a curved edge tank with aluminium hood, 5 door cabinet and an automatic feeder/ light timer option. I can get this for $1400 delivered to my door. this a neat & tidy looking tank although not as impressive as choice 2.

Choice 2.
A secondhand 6ftx2ftx2ft 600 litre Jebo, about 4-5 months old, like new. It's also a curved edge tank with an aluminium hood. it has a solid, better quality 3 door cabinet, seller is here in melbourne although a 1.5 hour drive away. He's selling with fish wich is 6 low quality discus, about 70 tetras of various types and a few others. The new price on this tank is pretty high around $2700-$3100. He want's $2500 with heaters, decorations, gravel fish etc. This is an impressive tank due to the larger size.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts

ctvu
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi DIY

It is really up to your budget though. To me the bigger the better, if you can affort and have space go for the bigger one :). I would go for the option 2 if I had enough money, with the low quality discus if you don't like them you can either sell them or give them to me :) jut j/k. The same thing applies to the other. Just my 2 cents word

ctvu

Aurora
Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah if I could afford it I would go with the second option.

If the first one doesnt come with all the equipment, then by the time you buy all that it is not going to work out much cheaper than option 2, but will be smaller and you said not as good.

DIY
Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys,

It looks like I may have another option. I can possibly get a brand new 6x2x2 model of the sunsun. This was specially imported for someone who changed their mind, my cost will be $1550 delivered

Whoohoo - 570 litres in a clean modern look, curved edges, built in lights, auto-feeder & light timer option... I'm getting excited!

I'm thinking of a weir, sump & trickle filter to replace or assist the poor built-in filters of the tank.. adding about 80 litres of sump water capacity - now thats a tank.

Hmmm... at 40 litres per adult discus, 570 litres of display area & 80 litres of sump area... I can see a large school of discus coming!