PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Light Selection for 5 Foot Planted Tank.

Sepincourt
Fri Feb 20, 2009, 07:50 AM
Hello, first off, sorry for yet another lighting question. I’ve looked at may others here but haven’t found the answers I seek.

I’m after some help selecting Lights for my New Planted Display Tank, I’ve spent a lot of time looking through forums and online stores to get ideas, but every time I decide to go one way I see or read something that makes me rethink, so I thought I’d bite the bullet and ask the professionals.

First off, the tank is a 5x2x2, (It’s actually more like 5’ x 22” x 26”, but close enough) I think the total volume is around 550lts, but more like 475-500 after displacement, it is sumped but I’m thinking the WPG/WPL rules only apply to water the lights effect. It’s going to be heavily planted with CO2 injection and ferts. With a standard, small, array of Discus, Tetras and Cats.

Am leaning towards T5 with mostly use Sylvaia Growlux Bulbs, then based on the number of tubes adding a 10,000k one. I was aiming for a medium-low-ish wattage, taking a less is more approach. That being said I am open to MH and bright lighting if the price is right and they come recommended.

I’m unable decide on which brand, what type and where from. So that’s basically what I’m asking, what you would you recommend I do? I’m fairly inexperienced with plants, so any advice, suggestions, comments will be helpful. I’m a spare no expense type person I like to do thing “right” the first time, but I’m also broke… So I’m not looking at anything stupidly expensive.

Also as said, it’s a display tank so needs to be something that sits neatly on the tank, or in the hood (which I’m happy to remove or modify if need be) Hanging isn’t an option (Though I’ve considered hanging several time while trying to work this out…. Just not the lights :shock: ).

I’m in South East Queensland, so needs to be from a good local shop, or someone who is willing to cheaply send my way. (Not sure that happens much/at with lighting? Rather large after all)

Advise away!

Thanks,
Stevo.