PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycle with "cycle"

hogangtp
Thu Feb 19, 2009, 04:44 PM
OK so Ive done the whole fishless cycle before,and well i bought the product "cycle" for my use this time. it says it helps the process and will make it go quicker. Besides basically adding more biological organisms why does it help the process and how much quicker will it work? Since my last cycle lasted around 5 weeks, i really wanted to speed this up.

Hollowman
Thu Feb 19, 2009, 06:21 PM
I have a friend who is a very experienced mod on my forum, and recently we had a thread asking the same questions on cycling times, and doing a fishless cycle and using 'off the shelf' products. This below is an extract from that he said:

Anything that can sit of a shelf for 2 years does not contain any aerobic nitrifying bacteria.

All these sit on the shelf bottled bacteria products contain hetertrophic bacteria that have very limited abilities to oxidize NH3/NO2. They are a stop gap measure at best while a normal bio-film, containing true nitrifiers, develops.

It takes 6 weeks to ''cycle'' a tank or 42 days using bottle snake oils

I think you cannot rush a cycle. I intend to use a new product myself to cycle my new sump, but even though it might kick start the cycle, I still think it's going to take a good six weeks to be at a point where I feel safe to start using it. Patience is a virtue :roll:

hogangtp
Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:38 AM
ya i figured that much, just figured id give this product a shot. Hell cant hurt

Hollowman
Fri Feb 20, 2009, 05:33 PM
ya i figured that much, just figured id give this product a shot. **** cant hurt

Absolutey right, if it helps to speed it up by a few days, thats better than nothing. :wink: