PDA

View Full Version : 3 month old discus were healthy but now dropping like flies

rheemas
Thu Feb 19, 2009, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I have a 2 foot tank of about 40, 3 month old discus (10 cent piece size), that were going really well until this week. I have lost six in the past two days.

Symptoms seem to be lack of eating, darkening in colour, weight loss, red semi swollen gills. The ill ones tend to stay near the top of the tank. The odd thing is it has affected the biggest, healthiest ones of the bunch.

I think it could be gill fluke but prazi container says not to use on baby fish. Does anyone know the impact of using Prazi on small discus?Suggestions on illness andtreatment appreciated.

Please help...my hard work is going down the drain...I took these fish with me on holidays over Christmas to keep them alive...my wife and relatives thought I was mad!

pH 6.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrate <5mg/l

Nick.

Hollowman
Thu Feb 19, 2009, 06:29 PM
You can give them a few PP treatments, this will help. But to be honest if they are only 10cent sized in 3 months, they are well behind in their growth rate. Can you post pics of them? It might not be worth even trying to keep them. Sorry if it sounds bad, but sometimes it is kinder.

hth

H

rheemas
Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:06 AM
Thanks, I will try the prazi. Would you recommend to be mixed with food or would this be too much for them (I wont hold you too it!)?

What size are they meant to be at 3 months (they hatched on 28/11)? I had to remove the parents at about 21 days (they were 7-10mm) as the parents were getting eaten alive.

I will try to post pics tonight.

Nick.

rheemas
Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks, I will try the prazi. Would you recommend to be mixed with food or would this be too much for them (I wont hold you too it!)?

What size are they meant to be at 3 months (they hatched on 28/11)? I had to remove the parents at about 21 days (they were 7-10mm) as the parents were getting eaten alive.

I will try to post pics tonight.

Nick.