PDA

View Full Version : Lifting a tank?

Doug Osborn
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking for some help - I have a 12mm thick 6ft * 30" * 24" tank I need help lifting onto its (finally finished) stand. The LFH I bought it from have been promising forever to come around and lift it, but I've given up hope.

Because of the lip on the cabinet it really needs vacuum clamps to lift and lower it without getting fingers caught. Does anyone know of removalists or othere who'd be interested in this small job (Melbourne, western suburbs)?

Thanks,
Doug

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
I live in Boronia, have you got photos of the cabinet? Surely its cant be to difficult?

Hollowman
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 06:15 PM
can you hire a lift of some description ?

Something like this:

http://www.idealwire.com.au/images/pics/scissor.jpg

Doug Osborn
Thu Feb 19, 2009, 09:06 AM
It's a pretty standard cabinet. The challenges are the weight (I'd guess four people to lift, two to place into position) and the lip on the cabinet.

It's about 4cm high on three sides (front, sides) so that with fingers underneath the tank you'd have nowhere to go - needing to drop the tank that last bit, or wind up with crushed fingers.

Or use clamps. I had a look at lifts etc. (a neighbour has an engine lift) but the flat ones illustrated don't help with placing the tank on the cabinet top (and the lip problem).

Any tips on how other people have gotten around this?

Thanks,
Doug

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Thu Feb 19, 2009, 10:52 AM
Slowly, i had a 6 ft tank, me and my brother lifted into position, though we didnt have a 'lip' to over come. we both got on one side each, and held the tank from underneath, bot at the ends, but about 5 inches before the ends ...then put one end down tight against the edge of the cabinet then slowly we both held the other end and put that down. worked like a charm. other then that, if you dont think its possible with a few strong mates, go to bunnings and get 2 pairs of window suction cups that window installers use.