PDA

View Full Version : Pre Filter Sponge on Filter In-Take Tube

TW
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:28 AM
I've read a lot lately about pple putting sponges over the strainer on their intake tube, as a pre filter. The idea is that this will keep your cannister cleaner.

Wondering who on this forum does it & how it works out for you. I have started doing it & find it works well on the tanks I do water changes on daily (the juvi tank for example).

My planted & main display tanks only get 2 x 50% wc a week & the thing about the pre filter is that all the left over beef heart & other food is sucked up to the sponge & stays there, instead of being sucked into the filter & out of the tank. Now, I know that is the idea of it, so can't complain about that. But, the sponge does need to be rinsed daily, but no matter how carefully I remove the sponge for the daily clean, the little bits of debris fly all over my tank. Maybe I shouldn't worry about that, as after I rinse the sponge out & put it back in place, I guess all that debris will make it's way to the pre filter again.

Just wondered what others might think of their use.

Hollowman
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 06:11 PM
Yes, I have done that Robyn, and would recommend it too. As for removing for rinsing, i just lift it off carefully and try not to let the dust fly. If you want you can hold a cup or tub under it as you lift it from the water, as that is generally when the bits drop out.
You should find it really saves the build up of rubbish in your cannisters. :)

Old Dave
Sun Feb 22, 2009, 11:42 AM
TW,

I just use a little bag like the filter bags.
Put the bottom section of the strainer inside the bag and clip it back into the fitting.

When it gets a bit dirty just give it a rub whilst the filter is running. :lol:

The fishies usually graze on it as well. :wink:

HTH,

Old Dave