PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2028 Pro II problems

hogangtp
Tue Feb 17, 2009, 01:58 AM
Ok so i hooked my new Eheim up and well everything is going smoothly for the first hour, primed it and such. It was making a bit more noise than I thought it should but figured it was just working the air out. However, after an hour or so its making a ton of noise. I go to check it out and in doing so it just shuts off. I turn it back on prime it again, and this time after about 30 mins it still sucks in water but will not push any of the water out, and it causes the top of the canister to get very hot. I have no idea whats going on. I tried to re-lube the canister o-ring thing they tell you to do in the manuel. THis worked for a little but then it just stopped pushing air or water out. whats up with this anyone know?

Davehs11
Tue Feb 17, 2009, 08:00 AM
I have recently purchased a RENA XP4 and im experiencing similar problems, however not to the extent of yours. At first i thought it was the air as well and turning the unit off did help and after running for a few hours the noise was reduced. today i turned it off to add some more media and when i turned it on the noise had greatly increased and it sounds like an impeller problem not 100% tho. Im afraid i have nothing to help you with your problem but i would be interested if anyone does.
Thanks Dave

TW
Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:49 PM
and this time after about 30 mins it still sucks in water but will not push any of the water out, and it causes the top of the canister to get very hot. Hi again. Sorry to hear this still isn't working for you. Are you sure it is actually sucking in water. I can't get my head around that if it is fully primed (eg cannister & all tubes full of water) that it can suck in more water without having to push some of the existing water out. If all is full, any new water being sucked in must have to move existing water out of the way, or else how can the newly sucked in water actually find room to be sucked into the cannister. I'm probably not saying this properly, but don't know how else to explain it.

Sometimes the priming thing you push down doesn't pop back up on it's own, or is really hard to push down in the first place. Try re-lubing that area really well. I recently discovered that made a difference. Sometimes, if I haven't primed it properly, the only thing that works for me is to empty the hose on the intake side of water & have it hanging downwards into a bucket on the floor. With the filter turned off, I then suck on the intake tube until water starts running freely into the bucket. Quickly put all tubes back into place in the aquarium & turn the filter on. Sometimes I then give the priming pump a few pumps, just for good measure.

Good luck with getting it going.

taksan
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 10:31 AM
Ok so i hooked my new Eheim up and well everything is going smoothly for the first hour, primed it and such. It was making a bit more noise than I thought it should but figured it was just working the air out. However, after an hour or so its making a ton of noise. I go to check it out and in doing so it just shuts off. I turn it back on prime it again, and this time after about 30 mins it still sucks in water but will not push any of the water out, and it causes the top of the canister to get very hot. I have no idea whats going on. I tried to re-lube the canister o-ring thing they tell you to do in the manuel. THis worked for a little but then it just stopped pushing air or water out. whats up with this anyone know?

not primed properly .... you have to fill it up with water.

Goerge_of_the_Jungle
Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:14 PM
go to your LFS, get one of those gravel vacuums with the hand pump (cheap things, only like $5AU), take the vacuum nozel off, connect the 'sucking' end to of the gravel vacuum to your 'OUT' hose, leave your 'IN' hose in the water. Prime it with the inbuilt primer until water starts to flow out of the 'OUT' hose, from there, use the hand pump on the gravel vacuum for a few minutes, then wile your still pumping away, turn it on, it should start up with no noise and no problems as the hand pumping process should remove ALL air. I do this for ALL my cannister filters every time i turn them off (for what ever reason) you will get perfict start every time with no air as well as a longer life as it is causing less strain on the 'motor'.

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 24, 2009, 06:35 AM
suck on the end of the out put hose till you have a mouthfull of water, discus water is fine for drinking. once you know its full turn it on it will run fine.

the self prime on these units is iffy at best i dont use it on any of mine (i have 6) just manually prime it with your lungs and you'll be fine.

if it keeps making noise chances are the priming head (the bit you push down) isn't returning to full height use your hands to manually pull it to the propper position(they can get sticky) once its there LEAVE IT! and dont ever push it down again.