PDA

View Full Version : Coles now not stocking Beef Heart

AHC
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 05:28 AM
:shock: Whats with coles now not stocking beef/ox hearts. I went to stock up again and they said coles are no longer selling them. I have contacted so many butchers etc who also do not stock it. Has anybody had any problems getting ox hearts etc?

I know where i can find some cows.. but am not keen on performing a heart grab like the crazy guy in Indiana Jones - temple of doom.

Does anyone know a butcher that has excess hearts (i say excess as i dont want to take another discus owners hearts when supply seems limited)

dthomo
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 06:22 AM
Hi All,

My offer from the butchers thread is still open.

I can get Beef Heart any day off the week I work at the Abattoirs.

If anyone needs some I only need 1 days notice ask me today and I will have it tomorrow.

Pick up from Campbelltown.

And remember its FREE.

Regards,
Dave

AHC
Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Dave. Thats great news. And thanks for the offer.

Coincidently, a friend calls me last night in response to a previous email asking friends to check out their local butchers. He has ordered me a couple which im picking up. Once these hearts are eaten i will be sure to PM you and drive out to Campbelltown to pick them up from you.

Thanks again

Matt15
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:46 AM
All butchers can get it you just have to ask.

TW
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:08 AM
Matt, some of them won't. My local one says that he has to buy a minimum amount (5kg) & even though I said I'd buy the lot, he wasn't interested to do it.

Aaron - is Surry Hills any good to you? I have the details at work, if that locations is ok for you. Let me know.

AHC
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hi TW, yeah Surry Hills is great for me. If you could PM me the details that would be great. Thank you.

Turns out my mate had to order the 5kg. Im picking up 3 hearts tonight to make some food which should last me a while. Then i can grab another 1 or 2 next time i need them from Surry hills.

Hi Matt. Ive asked countless butchers and had friends ask theirs in different locations. Im glad i asked here as it seems there are options between Campbelltown and Surry.

Hollowman
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:04 PM
Aaron, have you prepared them before?

AHC
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi,

Yeah a few times. I originally researched how others prepare as i didnt have the faintest idea.

I basically cut them in half then cut off all the sinew and fat. Then i dice them futher into smaller squares and cut off any additional fat and sinew left over. Then with the lean meat left i grind in the hand mincer. I make a mixed batch receipe with some additional goodies as well as leave a batch just plain lean heart mixed with some vitamins.

I also told my mate not to freeze mine when he got it last night so i dont thaw then refreeze. :wink:

Hollowman
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:17 PM
Have you got any of Andrew Soh's Pro-Growth? it's a good opportunity to add it if you are making a batch. Norto is selling the stuff cheap as chips. Might be worth considering.

AHC
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:33 PM
You know, ive never added pro-growth before. I add crushed vitamins, spirullina, paprika, garlic with a small amount of spinich, carots and peas. I also do a seafood mix sometimes. I also have a little mix where i mix in some Prazi for when i need it.

Ive only ever read great things about pro-growth so thanks for the reminder. I will order some today. im assuming i can just it it to my current list of items?

Hollowman
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:42 PM
You have a good list there, I think I would substitute your added vitamins with the pro-growth though, the rest are ok. I did have somewhere a method of how andrew adds it to beefheart mix, I'll see if I can find it. If not I'll talk to him and ask him.

AHC
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
Brilliant. Thank you. i think he mentions it in his book too. i will have another read tonight.

Hollowman
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:07 PM
Couldn't find what I wanted, but tak a read through this thread from my forum BIDKA in the Uk.
Andrew talks about what he recommends in a good mix.

http://forum.bidka.org/showthread.php?t=3609&highlight=pro-growth
hth

Steve

AHC
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:23 PM
He raises some great points and im easily influenced and eager to learn off the back of others.
Im going to modify my receipe slightly and eliminate spinich (unless really cooked) and gelatin. Also prawns from my seafood mix are out. I will keep salmon and scallops though. :lol:

Ive read about the great results but Im now really eager to see the results of Pro-Growth.

Thanks again for your help :cheers

Hollowman
Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:29 PM
No problem mate, I thought it interesting about leaving out the prawns too, $20 for a pot of P-G, bargain. :)

TW
Wed Feb 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
The butcher in Surry Hills is:-

Hudson Meats
U1 - 410 Crown Street
SURRY HILLS NSW 2010

Ph 9332 4454

I'll read through that link from Hollowman later, but I follow Merrilyn's recipe, which has the prawns (I also add a few extras things). I also like to use spinnach, as it provides roughage & helps keep them "regular".

AHC
Thu Feb 12, 2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks so much TW. I'll be sure to space out my orders between here and campbelltown. Im sure there will be enough to go around. :lol: